HOP 4: Lightroom vs Photoshop

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

3 Likes

Had to play a little catch up, but I’m loving these short hands-on sessions! Sometimes I feel like they need just a smidge more time to round out and summarize the thoughts. Also, I’m curious why you chose Lightroom classic for the examples rather than the new one. I know it’s controversial, but for someone who isn’t already using Lightroom, I feel it might be better to get comfortable with Adobe’s current Lightroom direction.

Feels kind of hypocritical for me to say, though cuz watching you use Lightroom classic reminded me how much I loved using it. I just can’t find that same love for the new one. Odd since in every other instance I love Adobe’s new products much more than their old ones.

2 Likes

I was never a Lightroom user until just recently, when I started using the new Lightroom. I used it to use the Auto profile before pulling it into Photoshop. On the one image I’ve used it on so far, LR did a better job than Photoshop’s Auto Color would have. Then in Photoshop, I tweaked it some more and I seem to have a pretty fine photo, I think. So I guess now I’m a real user of the new LR. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

THANKS my man. But yeah I’m a Classic fan because of how I can organize the files via catalogs and keep my backup workflow intact. CC version is more useable now for me, but the asset manager aspect is where Classic wins out for me. When CC was announced in 2016, Lightroom was then called “Classic” and most of us fret that it was gonna be sunset. Fortunately, it’s still here. I spoke with Josh Haftel and he continues to fuss at me about thinking Classic is going away. Not happening anytime in the near future.

2 Likes

Pretty much the only time I use the new Lightroom is on the mobile side. Here and there I’ll use my desktop CC version, but few and far between.

2 Likes

Hi @ant_pruitt et al!

I finally caught up with the show today and was so humbled that you chose to use my pic on this episode.

Thank you for featuring my snap whilst attending an open day and steam up with my wife.

I really should have a play with Lightroom/Photoshop as I’ve never used them. I use iOS photo processing and recently installed Pixelmator on my iPad. I’ll have a play when not filming!

Keep up the great show and thanks again.

Ms Catie :wink:

(Launching my new vlog @LivingEnabled soon!)

3 Likes

Pixelmator is very popular for good reason. Nice :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Good luck with your new vlog

2 Likes

I was looking at the photography apps on Adobe cloud and just wondered if when people sign up they upload all there photos to the cloud storage, I’ve got 90Gb of photos so I’d need the 1TB plan, which seems way too much, should I just go for the small plan and just leave my previous photos on my various HDD’s and cloud storage and just use the included storage for new stuff @ant_pruitt.
Any ideas from other members welcome

1 Like

I don’t upload to Adobe’s cloud because many of my files are just way too big. Costly not just with the amount of storage but the bandwidth too. I just back up to an additional drive.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info @MacPhyle, I think I’ll go for the cheapest option.

image.png

3 Likes

I concur with @MacPhyle . I have the 1TB worth of storage, but I’m constantly accessing it on the road for templates while switching between devices. You’re allowed to use 2 devices on the Creative Cloud, so some things I use the cloud storage and sync. Not everything, but some things.

2 Likes