HOP 163: Drone Photography and Video

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes

Nice roundup, unfortunately drones aren’t much fun here. You need a license and you can only fly them at model aerodromes or open fields and forests. You can’t use them in residential or industrual areas or in town - data protection rules, you cannot take photos or film of other people’s private property E.g. if you are flying the drone in your garden and taking pictures, you cannot take photos over the neighbours hedge or of the road, if there are parked cars, people or moving traffic on them.

That makes them very limiting. You can get a permit for specific purposes, if you are making a promotional film for a company and want to do aerail shots of their property, for example, you can get a filming permit for that although you would still need to get releases for neighbouring properties.

This makes drone ownership difficult, especially for people who live in towns, there aren’t that many model aerodromes around and you usually have a long drive into the countryside in order to be able to use the drone.

4 Likes

VERY fascinating info sir

1 Like

Thank you for watching

1 Like

Similar here in the UK. You see much fewer drones compared to when they were first released with little regulation in place.

For us, over 250g it has to be registered and do an online theory test to get a flyer ID. Stay 50m away from any houses/cars/people, has to be kept under 400ft and within sight.

All airports, airbases etc. have flight restriction zones.

I think most people (like me) got rid of our Phantom-size drones as you couldn’t really use them anywhere.

They are fun though. Tempted now and again to get a < 250g drone, something like a DJI Mini or that Autel.

4 Likes

Just got around to watching this video and it does have some incorrect information (at least for those in the US.) Do NOT call the airports or anyone for permission - there are apps for that (DroneUp, B4UFLY, UAV Forcast.)
Also, any drone over 249g only requires $5 registration fee to the FAA and a small common sense test if you’re only a recreational flyer.
And, once in the air, you are only governed by the FAA; not HOAs, Karens or even local police. Sure, you should have some respect for peoples privacy, but flying 200’ over someones home is not a problem.

1 Like

Yeah I use B4UFly too. Thx for watching :fist_right:t5:

B4UFLY used to prompt that a call was required. Been yrs since I’ve opened that app though. At least 5yrs…