Drone Recommendations

I was thinking of buying a drone to play with. Can anyone recommend a good beginner one with a camera? While searching online, I came across this one.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

If you’re in the US, study the FAA rules before flying a drone.
There are rules on flying in wilderness areas, national parks, etc.
You need to take the onliine “TRUST” exam (free) to show you know the basic rules.

I fully recommend doing the studying and getting your Part 107 certification, otherwise most videos and pictures you take are very limited in use.

2 Likes

As the link is from Amazon UK, I guess the OP is in the UK, but finding out about the UK requirements first, and ensuring any exams and permits are in place is always a good start.

In Germany, you can’t fly in a built up area, you can only fly on model aerodromes and open fields. For anything else, you need to obtain a special (time limited) permit for flying in other areas.

My future son-in-law bought a DJI in an Amazon Germany sale recently. The Wipkviey seems to be a cheap clone of the DJI, by the look of it.

The link in the original post was for a drone less than 250g. In the UK most rules don’t apply to less than 250g except around airports and events so you can mostly do what you like unless you are annoying or spying on people.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I dont have any specific recommendations. My kids have had a few similar ones to this and they’re fine for messing about with but without investing too much money.

I have already looked into it and if the drone has a camera, the Civil Aviation Authority does require a license. I figure that I might as well look at the theory component

I thought it was over 250g and/or has a camera that you need a license. That would suggest, to me at least, that, regardless of size, the camera means it would need one

1 Like

I sold my drone when flying got so restricted around where I live.

Pretty sure the rules are you need to register a drone with a camera or > 250g.

But over 250g you have to take an online test and get a flier ID. Don’t think it’s difficult, I’d probably do it anyway.