Head Up Display

I hear most people say “Heads Up Display” as though there were more than one head involved. A “Head Up Display” is made for one head and should always be pronounced in the singular.
From an engineer involved in the development of head up displays for Hughes Aircraft and General Motors.
Also I hear Leo and Scott Wilkinson pronounce “balun” like BALE-un. This device balances the impedance difference between a coaxial cable and a twin wire cable and is properly pronounced bal-un with the a sounding like the one in the word Bat.

1 Like

How do you pronounce “pedant”? :wink:

4 Likes

American English is a very dynamic language and all the “rules” change too. I’m guessing since you’re a member of the forum you listen to podcasts, a couple I’d recommend off the top of my head are A Way With Words and Lexicon Valley with Professor John McWhorter. Both are fascinating and explain our ever changing language & grammar.
McWhorter even has a book titled “Words on the Move: Why English Won’t - and Can’t - Sit Still (Like, Literally)”

Having spent about 20 years in and around military aviation, I can assure you that I never heard a pilot or other aircrew call it a “head-up- display.” I suspect the “incorrect” usage is derived from the common warning or admonishment “heads-up!” This certainly pre-dates the display technology.

My particular complaint is the idiotic sounding pronunciation of two Middle Eastern countries, Iran and Iraq. Neither pronunciation begins with “eye”. It’s Ir-ak and Ir-ann, just like in “irregardless”. :wink: We can blame dopic senior military officers (especially in the Army) for this #fail.

3 Likes

Do people in that life call it simply “HUD?” I hear that in gaming pretty regularly.

irregardless is not actually a valid word, BTW. Irregardless - Wikipedia

regardless → without regard
so adding an “ir” would just negate the without, making it the same word as regard.

2 Likes

I just read that irregardless is now in the dictionary🤨 WTH!!!’

1 Like

I agree that “irregardless” is not a word – or at least it’s use is substandard.

… just like in “irregardless”. :wink:

Maybe read up on use of emoticons tho. (yes, I know “tho” isn’t a real word either)

Curious why we view certain words and grammar as “substandard”.
Do you think it’s because you taught a certain way when younger?
We forget all the odd parts of English because…well we learned them that way from Mrs. Karcher in elementary school.

Here’s an interesting quote from Grant Barrett a host on A Way With Words-
“Complaints about language are almost always about some other group. Some of it is “They’re trying to put on airs, to impress others,” some of it is feeling left out of major changes in culture, racial difference, ethnic difference. It’s almost never only about somebody being “wrong.” We speak English, we write English, we feel fluent, but most of us are no more qualified to judge the speech of other people than we are to talk to a nephrologist about our kidneys.”

I don’t know about substandard, but I draw a line between professional and personal communication. If I send emails that contain grammatical oddities I think it costs me credibility. The same way I won’t go into a meeting wearing cargo shorts.

The ability to use words reflects upon the speaker/write. If you misuse words in the wrong context (say on a resume) then it can be costly to the way you are perceived and/or your reputation. I do acknowledge that language and what is considered correct usage evolves, but I refuse to stop using mixed case, or to use emoticons and emoji in something I want to be viewed as professional. I also avoid words that have controversial usages or interpretations… otherwise I might still be calling cigarettes something offensive. (As just one example.)