Google starting in June 2021 all new photos & videos in High quality count toward the free 15 GB of storage

How does Amazon Photos compare to Google Photos? It’s free for Prime members.
Whichever way I go,I would like to know how to get a copy of my photos back from Google. It’s will be a pretty enormous download.

Use the following Takeout.google.com

If you shoot a lot of video be aware that Amazon has a 5GB storage limit for video (unlimited photos).

I’m late arriving on this thread, but it’s funny that the first thing most people thought (including me), is where do I go now. Many of us seem to always be chasing the quickly extinction bound free internet services. Yet we are upset when the companies providing these services use our info. Double edged sword.

If Google Photos met all your needs, and you enjoyed using it, it seems that they offer one of the best storage options before they begin charging you. I’m sad to say, Google Photo search is far superior to Apple Photos, as is their overall ease of use, especially from Google user to Google user, when sharing. Although Air Drop is pretty sweet if they are nearby.

I’m going to keep using Google photos, but also going to get serious with my Apple Photos, which I’ve decided to use as my primary photo app. I do use Amazon Photos, but really only a backup. I find their usability rather limited.

If I were more serious about photography, I’m sure I would look further past all three of these aforementioned services.

same. It’s a super easy way to back up, and have my data available on both my macs and pcs.

A few years ago, I decided to use Google Drive as a way to sync. I was originally using Picassa to create albums, but that was using photos locally to get uploaded. I pay for 100GB of Google Drive, but I also backup RAW. The fact that once the sync is done I can go create my album is great.
However, as an Amazon Prime user, I also added their photos to my arsenal. I will continue to use Drive, for now, for my stuff.

I do pay for storage from Apple. I have the 99cent 50GB plan which seems to be fine for backing up my photo’s and my iphone. But I do enjoy the simplicity of use of Google Photo’s. I’m already a Gsuite subscriber so I will most likely just keep using Google Photo’s until I just can’t. I download amazon photo’s this past week as they offered me $10 if I just upload a photo to the site. So I took them up on that offer…However the user interface sucked, felt like I was stuck in 2005 and I tried sharing a photo to my partner and she never received it. I upload things to Google and share and it’s almost an instant notification on her phone so I think I’m gonna stick with what I know.

1 Like

It’s interesting, most people I know use iPhones, myself included. Yet when sharing photos, nearly all of them use Google Photos rather than Apple photos. I’m amazed, given the attention Apple has given their cameras, that so many finds their app that stores those photos, not adequately functional to so many of their users.

I found that very unfriendly as it created multiple zip,files much larger than the size of my computer drive.

You can select the size of the downloads. Or if I misunderstood and you meant you have more data on Google than you have room for on your drive you can’t blame that on Google can you?

No I’m not blaming anyone. I, like many others, have hundred of GB of photos stored on Google photos and would like a way to manage the downloads bit by bit in a systematic manner. Maybe I am missing a way to achieve this?

As @CrimsonChin showed, if you use takeout, you only get to select from 5 different maximum zip archive sizes and they only give you one week to download the archives.

For smaller zip archives and/or a longer time period you can do it directly in Google Photos instead of using takeout. Just select the day(s) you want and download an archive.

I do it as an ongoing part of my photo processing work flow. I triage the photos from a day, select all of the photos for that day (one click), and download the zip file containing just that days photos.

Google have been pretty reasonable in giving plenty of notice of the change, and also allowing all photos uploaded before the change in June 21 to remain on Google Photos without charge. BUT, what really irks is the lack of acknowledgement of what Google have had from me for no charge in return for getting my photos; all the personal data to feed advertising, machine learning and so on. There has been much less comment on this aspect than I expected, thought it was good to hear @MikeElgan raise it on TWIT 799: Don’t Tweet the Fleet

I accepted Google’s use of my data as an implicit ‘cost’ of free storage. So, if they now want to charge, I want Google to stop using my data. Of course, that will not happen, so I’ll leave what is already in Google Photos in place and use something else going forward (OneDrive, Amazon or Flickr). If I have to pay, then it doesn’t have to be for a Google service. Makes me think about moving on from GMail too and paying for a service elsewhere.

The reality is they have already extracted all the value from your photos. Google is perfectly happy to give back or delete data once they’ve gotten what they need; it is the same with Facebook. These companies don’t actually need any of your data for long; it’s just an input to an algorithm or a profile. Once they’ve ingested the data and learned what they need to, keeping the raw data is probably just a liability.

I’m a paying Google Workspace customer so while I was originally saddened and thought about switching I think I will most likely just stay here. The only other viable option would be going all in on Microsoft 365 and storing my photo’s in Onedrive which just isn’t as fancy as Google Photos. So I think I’ll stay where I’m at for now.

1 Like

I’ve now disabled the Google Photos app sync, got a takeout of my pics and giving photo sync to OneDrive a go. Got 1TB there from my O365 sub.

Original plan was a Pixel 5, but got a Samsung S20 FE in the end, and their Gallery app supports auto-sync to OneDrive. Working pretty well so far. Has search, simple photo edits in the Samsung app. Snapseed if I feel like it. Full-quality copies too.

2 Likes