AAA 527: Android TV is Onn

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

About Googles new Photo charges. How will shared photos be handled. Against the original poster only. Or against all?

1 Like

@JasonHowell Maybe you can get Kevin Tofel to come on AAA and talk about Chrome OS some time. He’s done quite a bit of work with Linux on Chrome OS, including development tools. His articles at https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/ are great to check out for those using Chrome OS.

I’ve installed and used Microsoft’s VS Code (code editor) for Linux on Chrome OS, and the process is much easier than it used to be.

2 Likes

for sure - before you had to futz around with manually creating chroots through several terminal commands.

Tofel has been very hard to secure lately with his new focus on getting his Masters.

1 Like

Oh, I bet. Maybe he can claim college credits for an appearance. :grinning:

1 Like

@JasonHowell , you talked about setting up personal photo backup with a Synology NAS in the episode. I’m looking at doing the same thing. Although, I’m waiting for the release of DSM 7.0 and the new Synology Photos app. They are deprecating the old photo apps this summer. Are you doing yours on the old or new app?

1 Like

As he mentions in the video, he stuck with the old version because he was worried that upgrading to the new version was a one way trip. (Synology warns you can update to the beta but you can’t roll back.)

1 Like

I think he said he didn’t opt into the beta so it would be on the old app.

I assume that photos that are shared with you do not count against your quota…unless you download them and import them into your own library?

I think @JasonHowell said something like only original Pixel users are grandfathered in? All current Pixel users continue to get free storage of high-quality (not original quality) images, so no change there. Be interesting to see if they keep that with the 6.

The DIY solution using a NAS looks fun…but pricey. You could prob get decades of a Google One sub for the price of a NAS.

You can do other things with the NAS to like host other cloud services and sync and more importantly own your own data.

Indeed. My Synology is a data backup, a Plex server, a camera surveillance recorder, remote access, shared storage on my network, and soon I’ll use it for the photo app after the next update. I still may use Google photos for its search and AI type stuff. But I do like having my own storage and backup.

1 Like

Hmm. Well, this version is not going to be valid for long. I’m just waiting for the new version to start setting it up.