Google Drive + veracrypt (or boxcrypt, or dropbox)

I have a personal USB drive I want to upload to google drive. I would like to use that as my personal working drive as it has my taxes etc in the folder. I was thinking about using Veracrypt to encrypt the folder and then uploading to google drive. I wanted to check with this crew to see if anyone had a better solution. I use a Mac and am happy to pay for encryption if it is better to use drobox, or some other cloud solution…in the past, I have been hesitant to use google drive as it is too easy to share a folder and then accidentally lead data. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Do you need fully automated synchronization or can you get away with just synchronizing when you (presumably infrequently) access the data? If it’s not very frequent, then you could just have a simple script that uses 7-zip with a password to make a secured file, and copies it into some folder that is synchronized to your cloud of choice.

If I were to ever trust a cloud provider, it would be on the condition that all my data is encrypted locally and the remote provider has no sense of the keys. (All they should see is a binary blob.) This has the downside that you cannot use any web interface to see into your backup, because that requires the web interface to know your password, breaking my rule.

Edit: Doesn’t @Leo recommend iDrive for backups? On their website they say “Transfer and store files with 256-bit AES encryption using a user-defined key that is not stored anywhere on the servers.” This could kill two birds with one stone, as it would give your PC a backup as well as the USB drive.

I ordered a Google Titan key to see how that reduces the “woops” factor for google drive