Creating a Spreadsheet To Import Contact Information

How do I do this?

I have access to a Windows 11 laptop, an iPhone and or an iPad that I can use to accomplish this task.

I want to create a spreadsheet to import my student contact information into either my Apple or Fastmail address book (or both).

My plan is to have my high school students take turns entering their contact information on one of my devices one by one. That way I can capture a headshot at the same time.

The information I want entered includes

First name

Last name

Email address

Mobile number

Grade (Home Room)

Period 11

Period 2

Period 3

Period 4

Period 5

Headshot

If I expect to my Fastmail address book, will CarPlay still be able to access it?

Come again? What does CarPlay have to do with this situation?

2 Likes

When I’m driving and ask CarPlay for an address to a contact’s location or phone number to compose a text, does CarPlay or Siri only search through my Apple contacts? Or will it also search through my FastMail contacts too?
The answer to that question will affect where I choose to import my contacts to.

I would recommend you VERY CAREFULLY check the laws on handling of the personal information of students and how it can be used. You have a duty of care of these students and their information, and I don’t recommend you use it in a cavalier fashion in a car environment as you propose (remembering that it will end up going through a third and potentially even fourth person provider to allow you to access it the way you propose.)

2 Likes

Let’s rephrase the question then.
If all my contacts are only stored in my FastMail account, will CarPlay be able to access them?

High school sure has changed from when I went through.

I think setting up a fillable form is your best route for the data collection. M365 and Google both have similar products that will do this, and dump the data into a spreadsheet for your use. On the M365 side it’s an app called “Forms.”

Like @PHolder said, you have a responsibility, be it legal or moral, to protect this data. You really shouldn’t export it to any device or service not managed by your school district/organization/etc.

1 Like

I think Google also calls it a form.
Can forms collect headshots if people are using a device with a camera?
Do I have a choice of how I label the fields or should I Google exact naming procedures to make the import run smoothly?

You might be able to have a field where people could upload a photo. I don’t know about pulling an image directly from a device though, might need a specific application for that.

The fields would need to be organized in a manner that can be recognized by whatever program you’re importing to. There’s probably a sample input file you can model after if bulk importing is supported.