COVID-19 and drinking

The Canadian Cancer Society is airing ads to fund raise on the concept that people have maybe become over-consumers of alcohol in these covid times. (I personally have not, but I can see how some might have. I have to admit I dislike the ads, but they obviously worked enough to make me think of it to make this post.)

We drank a bottle of wine at the weekend, that was the first alcohol this year. I had a glass of Lagavulin on New Years Eve, but that was the only alcohol I had over the Christmas period.

I think between summer and New Year, we drank maybe 3 bottles of wine.

| donā€™t consume alcohol.

Am I missing out? :rofl:

3 Likes

Probably not.

I like a nice glass of wine or a Scoth every now and then, but usually reserved for special occasions. Sometimes Iā€™ll get a craving for the taste of cider, for example, but alcohol isnā€™t something I have to drink regularly.

In the past Iā€™ve been over a year without drinking any alcohol - I used to drive a lot for work (60K miles or more a year) and was usually a long way from home when we went to the pub after work, so I usually ended up drinking soft drinks and driving other people home.

2 Likes

I did not drink alcohol until I was about 27 or 28. Not my taste and had enough bad examples in my vicinity (both young people who overdid it on parties and older who overdid it in general) to never really acquire a taste for it.

Then, I gradually started to appreciate wine. Donā€™t really have too much of a clue about it, but there is some lovely depth and differentiation of taste in it. Plus, itā€™s a great ingredient for cooking. Luckily (and strangely), the first glass always tastes better than the second, so thatā€™s where it usually starts and ends.

Are you missing out? (even though the question may be meant purely as a joke, I try to feel my way to an answer) Certainly donā€™t feel that way, purely on a social level. There are so many more ā€œuncoolā€ than ā€œcoolā€ examples related to alcohol that this component rather counts against it. However, if you find that you enjoy exploring a certain sort of taste, then youā€™ll find a whole new dimension to dive into. Thatā€™s fun. Just remain aware that this contains an ever so slight - and if overdone dangerous - component of self-poisoning. Which is enough of a thought to keep me alert. But I am glad I found a way to explore this without overdoing it and risking my (and others) health. So: I would not want to miss it.

Of course, this will have taken your question more seriously than intended (and indicated). Maybe thatā€™s because Iā€™m both painfully aware of alcohol misuse and hope to have found a way to enjoy it somewhat responsibly. Interesting balance.

2 Likes

I am drinking a little less during the lockdown because the pubs are closed. Luckily one of my local brewers is doing free deliveries so I can still get my real ale (currently a dark and delicious milk stout at 4.4% ABV). I guess about 3 pints of ale and 2 small glasses of red wine a week.