Are Tech Shows Running Out of Topics?

I’m late to this discussion, but found it a really interesting topic to add my .02 to.

In addition to what many have said here – that technology is maturing – tech (specifically computing and internet connectivity) has largely been mainstreamed, and now plays a much larger role in directing and setting societal norms, and also dissects with and impacts culture. As such, those of us who take a strong interest in tech are now also having more discussions about the implications of having technologies that we’d invest hours into learning all of the specific quirks and features of now in the hands of millions of people with diverse interests, of which few are on the intricacies of the technology that they use.

For example, take the users of Microsoft PowerPoint for presenting information. A small group of them, who I’d call “enthusiasts” are probably aware of and take interest in learning the various features of PowerPoint and use them in their presentations in order to make them stand out from others. An even smaller group of “Pro users” have the same interest and skill level as enthusiasts, as well as having awareness of other pieces of software that can be used to create presentations, have compared their pros and cons, and probably find themselves being consulted when others have presentations they need done.

The largest cohort of users however, are those who use it for a specific purpose, and have little to no interest in learning more about it. Their presentations, in turn, are filled with problems that enthusiasts and pros can identify, but that most pay little, if any attention to. They believe it “works”.

Now, apply that example to the tech discussion. For “enthusiasts” and “pro users” that I’m sure make up most of TWiT’s audience, we probably find ourselves bored by discussions of smartphone features that focus on superfluous features such as color, size, or look. Tech “journalism” has also been overwhelmed these days (IMO) by influencers and marketing, meant to drive growth of the user base, instead of specialized knowledge of the use and utility of the technology tools.

So, like I said at the top of this post, technology discussions among enthusiasts and pros now intersect with those of larger society and culture. Issues of data privacy, economic impacts of technology, implications of the spread of mis- and dis- information now play larger roles in the discussions that take place on TWiT shows. I think it reflects not only a maturing of the industry, but also of the audience, and the network.

As a long time listener, I really appreciate that, and it keeps me connected to the network.

5 Likes

It depends on what you want from a podcast. I mainly listen to them for the discussion and the hosts views.

It may be as well there is so much tech podcasts that are basically the same .

I remember a few years ago on windows weekly both Mary Jo and Paul were worried that there wouldn’t be enough Microsoft content for them to report on. And even when there was little content they managed to deliver good shows.

1 Like

I believe the answer is YES. Back in the day when Leo started TWiT there wasn’t that many Net, errrr, Podcasts. Now, there are hundreds if not thousands. To me, this is similar to news broadcasting. Back when local news was 30 minutes long it was filled with top stories, weather and sports. To some extent, that is still true. But flip over to the 24 hour cable news channels and they don’t have enough stories to fill 24 hours so they beat every topic or one topic to death by talking about it over and over again. With tech podcasts like the ones on Twit, the lack of “new” technology to review pushes the people into commentary on fringe tech stories, social and political issues to fill the time. For example, the guy on TWiG. if he was not allowed to say, Moral Panic, Facebook or Twitter, he would be silent for the whole show. Thats ALL he talks about. Barely tech news in my opinion. Someone else commented here on the shows where the hosts try and talk about new OS features, etc… Their point, I believe, was there probably isn’t that much interest with more seasoned tech users to keep their interest in shows like that which is fine. In short, the “airwaves” are becoming saturated with Tech Podcasts to the point some will fade away. Like Leo has said, it’s a battle to get advertising dollars to stay afloat. The strong and interesting ones will survive.

2 Likes

This thematic plateau is but the artificiality of a market failure, this too shall pass, and we will be astonished and delighted again, by innovation, and horrified, by the risks of our looming digital age.