Amazon Sidewalk can you ELIF

Can you explain the pros and cons of this please? ELIF = explain like I’m five

A new feature is launching on your Echo device: Amazon Sidewalk.

Amazon Sidewalk is a shared network that helps devices work better. For example, if your device loses its wifi connection, Sidewalk can simplify reconnecting to your router and help set up new Echo devices. Sidewalk can also extend the coverage for Sidewalk-enabled devices, such as Ring smart lights and pet and object trackers, so they can stay connected and continue to work over longer distances.

When enabled, Sidewalk uses a small portion of your Internet bandwidth to provide these services to you and your neighbors. This setting will apply to all of your supported Echo and Ring devices that are linked to your Amazon account.

Learn more about Amazon Sidewalk.

Well my understanding is Amazon would like to spread your network (probably without even asking you) out to the street where other people’s devices (as well as your own) can have coverage. Why pay for cell coverage when you can force your customers devices to be mini network connection points. I think Comcast was/is doing something similar with public WiFi out of home cable modems.

1 Like

Here’s a comment from @thurrott https://www.thurrott.com/smart-home/244305/sidewalk-is-amazons-latest-creepy-service

1 Like

Thanks so much …

Just another way for Amazon to weaken the security of your private network by pushing more and more untrusted devices throught it.

I suppose I might like a smart light down the bottom of the garden or in the village where my WiFi doesn’t reach, but struggling to think of many more uses for it TBH. Tracking tiles?

Somebody used the wrong email DL and notified UK users about it yesterday and confused everybody. It’s US only.