AAA 462: Google's Empty Stadia

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes

Haven’t watched the episode yet, but I have this to say about Stadia: Stadia would have been great if Google had thrown some real money at it. (They should have given the hardware away in droves, or sold it at a loss, next to nothing, until they had a good subscriber base. They should have paid to have many more games available, including all the great casual games like Tetris and even a Solitaire, Freecell and other card and board games, some LEGO games and some sort of Sim City or Civilization type game. They focused on hardcore gamers, it seems, but only had old games they already played or owned on other platforms.) The PS5 and Xbox Next are coming soon, already building buzz, and the time for Stadia to win an audience is rapidly coming to a close. Relying on Destiny 2 as your banner bearer was bad because matchmaking sucks because the Stadia World is mostly empty. (Also, Destiny 2 has switched to a free to play model so there are many other places to play.) When they finally open the free tier they better not screw that up… that’s their LAST chance to win some respect.

TL:DR: As far as I can tell Stadia is a zombie baby… it was born dead and dying and just doesn’t know it yet.

3 Likes

We miss Flo, but do love Ant!

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Music & Joe Maring’s experience

I do appreciate that he gave it a try. One thing with YTM is that it’s regularly receiving updates and improving very quickly. For example, they recently split the mixes into Your Mix, Discovery Mix and New Release Mix, solving one of the issues mentioned. If you want more of the stuff you liked, you can listen to Your Mix, whereas Discovery will focus more on new songs you haven’t heard.

The Youtube Main integrations are definitely the most annoying part but many of them have been fixed. The history for example, there’s an option in settings to turn off the history sharing between the two.

Lastly, catalog quality could use some work, but as mentioned, they respond well to feedback, and whenever I’ve caught a mistake in the catalog, they’ve fixed it after a feedback. So that’s also improving over time. Also, as a GPM user, I hope that once they transfer my data over, all my previous likes and playlists will come over, helping the initial onboarding for new users.

I do think it still has a long path to fully catch up, but it’s reassuring to see the pace at which it is improving. I would like to see Joe give it another try maybe in 6 months or a year.

3 Likes

@wade_county: arena through week 8: raygun01 23 Flo 23 guests 19 ronxo 14 antpruitt 4

1 Like

It sounded like he was complaining that the splitting up of Mixes into three lists made things more repetitive.

1 Like

I still feel like they are using Stadia as a test bed to gather data for some future project. If they had intentions at making a real go at this, they would have thrown more money at it. I just don’t buy it.

3 Likes

Thank you. We miss Miss Flo, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the discussion with the guest (Joe Maring) about the AJR song that showed up funny, it makes sense if you check the info on the video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vH9FjGZ_Oc , to quote:

2 Likes