WW 796: Largely Pain-Free

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Apple restricts keyboards because of the security and privacy risks. These keyboards are essentially key loggers and in the wrong hands are a problem.

Paul seems to have problems with all voice transcription.

1 Like

22H2 install 8.4.22 everything is ok

Why are people so hot to install Windows 11? What compelling capabilities does it add to Windows 10? (I’m not being snide, a serious question)

Thinking back, I don’t recall a windows version that added anything of interest to me in a long time. Windows 10 was an exception - it enabled me to get rid of Windows 8!

3 Likes

I would presume it’s one of two things, which is really two sides of the same coin.

A) They have to have the latest and greatest thing (their ego demands it or they are some form of technologist who had a job dependency on knowing about the new)

B) They have Windows 11 already (because of A with the last version) and want to get some of the fixes included in the newer version.

2 Likes

We aren’t. It got accidentally installed on one PC at work and I upgraded to be able to support it and see whether our corporate software would work. For the most part the software works, the only application that causes real problems, for general office workers, if Microsoft Outlook 365 - I can no longer set out of office replies, because the server isn’t available. I have to log onto the terminal server in order to set OOO messages.

It is generally frustrating, because all the things I regularly used, like right clicking the task bar for the task manager, are gone - although I can right click the Start button, but it takes getting used to.

The worst is the AV software, I work in IT, so we have to regularly check files for viruses, before passing them on to users (.doc, .xls, .zip etc. are blocked in emails and the users can’t access the attachments, they have to forward the mails to us and we can safely extract them and check them, before converting them to a usable format and sending them back). The “Check with AV” context menu option is gone, or rather it has moved, instead of right click, Check, it is right click, other options, check. That makes a big difference, when you have to do it on a regular basis.

Windows 11 looks nice, but from a functionality view point, it is a bit of a disaster in places.

2 Likes

I’m just a consumer user now and it came on my laptop. It’s never blue-screened, seems quick, and I spend all the time in my apps anyway so what the OS looks like is not that important to me. My preference is keyboard shortcuts for most stuff, so everything I use has carried over from previous versions. All good.

1 Like

The question I was asking is why would someone running Windows 10 want to go to V 11? TWIT spends a lot of time talking about how to get the upgrade. Why?? All I hear of is problems and lost features. Is there anything new in V 11 that would make one want to upgrade?

Not in my humble opinion. In fact there are some glaring deficiencies that is keeping me away, most importantly the fact that only one of my older PCs can actually meet the requirements, and there is no new money to replace that hardware even if MS dreams there is.

1 Like

Also, I think the idea of MS telling people they CAN’T have it is their attempt to make people want something they can’t have.

2 Likes

Improved performance was one advantage they claimed. Quicker startup, wake up, the interface is supposed to be more responsive.

The snap assist feature I like. Don’t think that was in 10. It remembers your external screen layouts too.

Can’t think of anything else :slightly_smiling_face:

From a power-user’s perspective, there is probably not much reason to upgrade. My wife, who is a more typical user, likes Windows 11. She likes the UI refresh and it does seem to run faster on our Surface 7 than Windows 10 did.

I’m running Windows 11 and it has been working fine for me for my day-to-day stuff at home. As I am more of a power user than my wife, I’m able to resolve the things where I could previously do something under Windows 10, but cannot (or it’s harder) under Windows 11. I don’t have the burning frustration that others seem to have, but that’s me.

I’m not in any rush to move to Win 11. Would rather not deal with the UI changes which I know would frustrate me. Besides, my hardware (mostly various refurbed ex-enterprise Dell Latitudes with SSDs) runs fine on it. Even a couple of D530s which could be up to 15 years old startup promptly and run Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, YouTube and videoconferencing software just fine on 3GB of RAM (not at the same time, but I’m a single-tasker on those machines).

The only modern PC I have which is at all slow to start up is my Framework, but I’m willing to cut them some slack because I think I recall the firmware runs custom checks at startup. Oh, and a treacle-slow 7 inch Windows tablet (remember them?), but then that has the lowest spec Atom processor and 1GB of RAM, so it’s a miracle it even runs Win 10 at all.

Currently intending to put off the decision until end of support for 10, when I’ll see what sort of shape 11 is in, and what machines I’m using then. If I can’t stand it then LinuxLite is my fallback option for any machines that don’t have to run MS apps and are 64-bit, it’s a good match for people with ingrained Windows habits. But as I’ve tried almost every distro since Slackware 3.6 and this the only one I halfway like, the omens are not good.

Might have got used to my Chromebooks by then, so who knows?