Windows 10 ARM on Apple Silicon

Anyone else doing combination of Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview and Windows 10 ARM insider preview on new Apple Silicon?

1 Like

Is there a download link for the Windows 10 ARM insider preview? Thanks.

I suspect you’ll need to actually join the insider program first. Anything else would probably not be a good idea (you don’t want some ISO random hackers are hosting if you can avoid it.)

Yes, as @PHolder said, you’ll need to join the insider program but that does not require much effort.

I’m trying to figure out why this subject popped up 4 months after it was first posted, but coincidentally I started the 2 week free trial from Parallels last week.
Having tried running Win 10 as a VM on a 2011 MBA, and being very disappointed at the almost useless performance, and not being able to run Win in Bootcamp on the new M1 MBA, thought I’d give it a go. Also, never experienced running it in coherence mode.
Wow, I’ve been blown away with performance, and the experience of Windows running as part of the MacOS experience. Now trying to convince myself I’ll get $100 value of keeping it.

Have to admit I do not have a viable reason to run Windows ARM on an M1 Mac. Still have Win10 x64 on 2015 MBA bootcamp but rarely use it. My dedicated desktop is Win10 and the apps I still need are best suited for a larger screen and mouse. What I remain confused about is, apparently MS will not be selling Win10 Arm as a stand alone license so what’s going to happen to us after the insider preview is over?

The same thing that happens with any unlicensed copy of Windows? You will get nagged to get a license… never mind that you can’t (unless they finally debut one.)

Considering the ongoing releases of new M1 devices by Apple, one would think Microsoft will at some stage make an official release of the ARM based Windows. And hopefully continue the Insiders Preview.

Microsoft sells relatively few of its Windows SKUs as single licenses, only the Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro x86 and x64 full and upgrade licenses. The rest are all restricted to OEMs or corporate customers - although in certain countries anybody who builds their own system is classed as an OEM and can buy OEM licenses.

Given that you can’t currently buy a bare-board ARM PC that is capable of running Windows on Qualcomm, it is hardly surprising they don’t offer the license separately. Until the M1 Mac appeared, the only way to get hardware capable of running WoA was to buy a Lenovo, HP or Microsoft device with it installed.

Given the M1 offers no 32-bit support, it will be interesting to see how well Parallels copes, as there is still a lot of 32-bit code in WoA. Until MS have thoroughly tested WoA running on Apple hardware, they are unlikely to change their licensing practices.

I read somewhere that you have to buy Windows 10 Pro as will.

It is a preview version, for testing only. You can use it to test new features, but you cannot use it for production purposes (E.g. live data, real documents etc.), as far as I am aware.

A normal Windows x86/x64 license wouldn’t help, in this situation. The license has to be compatible with the version (standard, Pro, Enterprise, Education) and platform (x86/x64/WoA).

The New Windows 11 My work. since it’s as looked up is an modded version of Windows 10 on arm setup to tarin software makers like Apples M1 chip is doing before the 100% move to arm.

‪C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe runs fine on my M1 with Parallels running Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Interesting, Paul said that, with the initial release of Parallels and the first Windows 11 release, the Microsoft Store and other 32-bit applications refused to run. It looks like Parallels might have upped their game then.