Why is there a Windows 11?

Yeah, same over here. Reset a new laptop and it suggested for me to go Windows 11. What I’d appreciate would be a message along the lines of “try it now, and if you don’t like it, be our guest to keep using Windows 10 - but we are confident you will like it”. I’d like to try it, but I am weary of the changes and would like to have a path back. Just as with Android 12. Might be nice, but many people report some design changes for the worse…

1 Like

I just got a new Dell laptop to replace my Macbook that no longer holds a charge (for a 6 year old laptop, I couldn’t justify the $200 for a new battery, and I wasn’t doing the replacement myself). It came with Windows 11 Pro. I booted it up, didn’t connect to the network, and was able to create a local account.

However, the next step I took on said laptop was to boot to an Ubuntu USB and reformat the drive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…some might call that the most effective Windows security patch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I only rezone had an Windows 10 system made was because the oculus rift wouldn’t work with Windows 10 installed on my MAC under boot camp. Lucky fur me I can’t get Windows 11 because I don’t have the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and since I plan to get new Quest 2 Advanced that doesn’t need an computer so I plan to turn that the Windows 10 system into an Linux based sever for my network. Their was an time wean I loved Windows the 95/98/ days. The XP days wore an gaming house for me. But after that Windows Vitsa ended it all Windows 7 fixed many if the issues aging hardware was making make an choice. So I let my windows 7 system be upgraded to Windows 10. The test told me to go MAC; over getting an Windows 10 system.

Microsofts reason is of course to force people to comply with the strict new requirements
of this OS like TPM 2.0 etc.

Steve Gibson has a great little program called In Control if you don’t want to be
bothered by certain updates…

GRC | InControl  

I was with the Windows Insider Program but I quit & will not go
back. They do not listen to reason, they just want to force their way of
doing things on us.

Windows 11 is lazy Sloppy Programing… After all this time when creating
shortcuts to destop they still add the word Shortcut to the name.

-The right click menu is just nuts, all the most used options for me
are now on a second screen.

In the Control Panel they still have the outdated Backup & Restore (Windows 7) no improvements at all. Window is free so can’t really expect much.

I am however not effected by any of this as I use OpenShell,Winareo Tweaker & Macrum Reflect Free on a Bootable USB Flash Drive.

One thing that should have been part of Windows Features long ago is the ability to resize all Windows, & have them remember the setting. We now have Widescreen big monitors & microsoft gives us these tiny little windows that can not be resized.

I use Windows 10 & 11 Pro. Using 2 NVME SSD’s

My Start Menu on Windows 11

My Right Click on Windows 11
My Right Click