What Handset is everyone got?

i had a xiaomi note 2 (looked almost the same as the ill fated galaxy note 7) i loved this phone gave it to a friend and hes still using it its still going strong!! also suggested the xiaomi max to my brother it was incredible value for the price :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also considering picking up a Xiaomi 8A when in Manila however idk if I want to spend money on a Chinese handset.

2 Likes

Pixel 3

• Quick Updates
  • Camera
  • General ease-of-use
  • Flexibility (though as an Android User this has me here instead of as Mateo would say the fruity OS)
  • Generally Stable

Dislikes:

• Memory issues
  • Backup/Restore Functionality isnā€™t as easy as my spouseā€™s fruity OS device

Note, dislikes arenā€™t that much of a killer as Iā€™ve been an Android fan since the Droid.

3 Likes

Iā€™m on a Moto G7 Play. I primarily wanted something on the smaller side with great battery life and a headphone jack for a reasonable price, since my phone is essentially a podcast player these days, and Iā€™ve been really happy with it.

Biggest gripe is the lack of internal compass which is something I didnā€™t even think about before buying, but itā€™s the sort of thing you donā€™t realise how handy it is until you donā€™t have it.

2 Likes

Iā€™d agree with the cheaper phone idea. My wife, two boys and I all have the Moto E5 Play. Itā€™s a decent enough phone, but we didnā€™t have to drop two grand to get them.

All four are in cases, no scratches on the screens and they work fine. Would I like a Pixel? Sure. Do I need a Pixel? No. The photos that the thing takes are just fine. Iā€™m not shooting for NatGeo, and if I really need a high quality photo, thatā€™s what the DSLR is for.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never dropped a phone in the toilet or tub. I get the feeling itā€™s one of those things that matter to phone reviewers that does not matter to the rest of us. Like wanting a metal case, complaining that plastic feels ā€œcheapā€ - then complaining about the performance of the antenna inside of a metal case.

Give me a slightly thicker phone with a removable battery, a headphone jack, a decent camera and a plastic case. Forget all that nonsense like a iridescent paint job.

4 Likes

OnePlus 5T, Iā€™m on Oxygen 9.0.9

3 Likes

Right now Iā€™m Pixel 2. Iā€™m not too impressed with the Pixel 4 but in Australia thereā€™s a very good carrier deal this week that I will likely use to upgrade anyway.

3 Likes

Still on the Pixel 2XL. I still love it, but am contemplating upgrading to the 4XL this year. Iā€™ll probably wait until the price comes down a bit, or someone offers some bargains. Still, I really donā€™t like that they got rid of the fingerprint sensor. It works great and face unlock brings up a lot of issues.

3 Likes

I work in the cellular industry so Iā€™m always on my phone, upgraded from the XS Max to the 11 pro max.

Blown away with how good the battery is. On my old
Phone is end the day sigh 20% and now I go to sleep with about 50% , this being on full brightness all day. Non dark mode.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a Samsung Galaxy S9. Had Samsung phones since the Galaxy S2. I really rate them. The S9 is fast, takes good photos, does everythingā€™s I ask of it basically. The only thing that annoys me is the Bixby button, although you can change the settings so it doesnā€™t activate unless you double press it.

Having said all that the prices of Samsungā€™s flagships are getting to a level where I may go somewhere else next time. Maybe one of the Chinese manufacturers.

2 Likes

One Plus 6 running OxygenOS 9. Looking forward to the soon to come OxygenOS 10 update. Speedy, generally superior to other phones Iā€™ve owned.Camera is sub-par.

2 Likes

Yes, I did the same thing with the Bixby button on my S8.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not upgrading! My OnePlus 6T is still working great.

3 Likes

Been using Huawei Mate 20 for the past year. Upgraded from Xiaomi MiA1. Upgrades schedule are OK but itā€™s not openline, from telecom although Iā€™ve used 2nd sim sim slot in other regions.

3 Likes

Been using an Essential PH-1 for almost 2 years now.
Love getting OS updates on day 1ā€¦ having plenty of storage. There have been complaints about the camera performance but Iā€™ve never had an issue.

Beginning to think about what my next phone will be. Was thinking it could be the Pixel 4/4XL, but given the reviews and the price Iā€™m not certain Iā€™ll go that route.

I had a Samsung S7 Edge a while backā€¦ liked the phone, hated the lack of updates. I donā€™t think Moto or LG are in the cards for the same reason.

Might take a look at a recent 1+ device.

2 Likes

Despite its waning battery life, Iā€™ve been sticking with my ZTE Axon 7 due to its headphone jack, expandable storage, and high quality DAC. I currently do my own LineageOS builds to keep up with security patches every month, because even the custom ROMs dropped support for this thing. I wouldnā€™t exactly trust the stock ROM anyway even if it was regularly updated, because you know, ZTE.

I currently have no idea what Iā€™d go with if this thing bit the dust. These days even the expandable storage is rare, let alone the headphone jack. Data costs an arm and a leg in Canada and Iā€™m a big fan of having my entire music collection on an SD card, which as a guy who has a college radio show and an obsessive propensity for FLACs, is too massive for internal storage.

4 Likes

One Plus 6T. Hands down the best phone Iā€™ve ever had. Great flagship killer. Canā€™t wait to get my hands on the 7

1 Like

Where does this term handset come from? also i use the iPhone XR (product red), but im super tempted by that Surface Duo next year.

2 Likes

Older term for ā€œphone.ā€

1 Like