What Handset is everyone got?

What Handset is everyone got and what do you like.or dislike about it.

Just now I have the note 10 plus 5g (no 5g coverage here)

Upgraded from a note 8 speed difference was big for me. Much snappier and the camera is good
(Am not a big photographer)

Am just not liking Samsung’s updates too slow

4 Likes

Pixel 3A. So far the only reason I’ve found to dislike anything is the fact that it doesn’t work with the Google Daydream, but I got an Oculus Quest anyway, so that’s moot! And then there’s the lack of wireless charging, but that’s no biggie - I like the fast charging much better anyway.

So that’s one plus… others I guess are Android 10, monthly security updates, the just barely pocketable size, the affordability, the Google Fi compatibility, the great camera.

Gotta say I’ve never liked Samsung cameras because they oversaturate images. I just want natural looking images. And also with Samsung, I hate waiting forever for OS updates.

4 Likes

I have a Samsung S8. I had a super slow Samsung J3. I dropped one in the water and then got another. Finally got so tired of it being so slow - I bought the S8 about 12 months ago. The S9 was already out - but I am super satisfied with the S8. HUGE step up form the cheap J3 Samsung I had.

Plus, the S8 is waterproof :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah the galaxy 9 wasn’t much difference from the 8

2 Likes

Still rockin the 1st gen Pixel. Up until the Androind 10 upgrade it was still working great, but battery life took a dive after the upgrade and has not recovered, even with a factory reset.
It just has to hold out a few months more until Ting adds Verizon MVNO, then I get a new phone that will work with it.
Might get the Pixel 4 then, but the hands on reviews over time will determine that.

3 Likes

I’ve got the OG Pixel and the battery is on its way out. Thinking about grabbing the 3a or seeing what deals the Pixel 4 gets for Christmas.

3 Likes

Yea, it sucks that they keep the batteries non-replaceable now. They can say what they want about thinner… But I think they do that for phones and laptops now to push people to buy a new device much sooner… It’s all in their plan…

2 Likes

I think their plan is to escape the criticism they get when they don’t do something different with their designs. For years, doing something different has been all about thinner and lighter, but that comes at the expense of other things, like battery life, for instance. I’d much rather have a long battery life than a thinner/lighter phone.

Oh, and as to removable batteries, I miss those too, but I bet that can’t be done on a waterproof device. Not having waterproofing is something else manufacturers get dinged for.

2 Likes

Give me a cheap phone, like my Moto G6.

If I break it, I’m not going to weep for too long. I’ve got it in a decent case, I managed to never drop it in the toilet, and I don’t have so much as a scratch on the screen.

Like everybody else, I don’t care about thinness and I don’t understand why everybody is following Apple’s design anorexia.

My wife loves her old Moto E4, and actually bought a pair of them as backups for whenever she accidentally destroys the screen on this one. She’ll never give it up because she needs a replaceable battery.

It’s baffling to me why so many people have willingly bought into planned obsolescence to have a phone a millimeter thinner.

3 Likes

I think we really just have no choice anymore…

2 Likes

I dropped my ID in the toilet like two weeks ago and I had to weigh reaching into the toilet vs waiting in line at the DMV for 3 hours.

I sanitized it thoroughly.

1 Like

Currently a Pixel 2XL but pre-ordered a Pixel 4XL

2 Likes

Still rocking my OnePlus 3T. It is showing its age but still handles most anything I throw at it. Makes me think that as much as I like the price of the Pixel “a” series I’ll only get phones with 800 series Snapdragon processors. Even a cpu two to three years old performs really well. With enough ram anyway.

2 Likes

Pre-ordered the Pixel 4Xl.

2 Likes

Rocking a year old OnePlus 6T T-Mobile version. A great phone as long as you install gcam.

2 Likes

Im currently using the pixel 2 XL

2 Likes

I might pickup a OnePlus when I’m in Manila in a few weeks. It’s really the only other phone I’m interested in besides the 3a.

2 Likes

I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro as my private handset (currently running Android 9.1 with September patches and my work handset is a Huawei P20 (also currently on Android 9.1 with September patches).

I’m very happy with the Mate 10 Pro. The notch on the P20 is annoying, but I can live with it. They both have more-or-less the same internals (same processor, same RAM and storage capacities - 8GB and 128GB respectively). I’m not allowed to put any private apps on the work phone, so it just has Firefox and Outlook on it.

The only thing that I find annoying with the Hauweis is the camera. The AI does a nodding-head-doll effect when you take photos of people, it zooms their head, whilst the body remains at the correct size, which looks silly. I made the mistake of going to a wedding and only taking the Hauwei and not my camera, none of the pictures were usable, as they all looked like charactures.

But that is the only time I’ve ever really used the camera, in over 18 months of ownership. The camera is probably the least interesting aspect of a smartphone for me.

2 Likes

iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Like: no more home button, facial recognition, great photography (will leave Olympus at home more often)
Dislike: you have to swipe up after facial detection unlocks the phone…that is really stupid

3 Likes

I’ve got a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S running AOSP Extended ROM. Latest (at the time) Snapdragon chipset w/ something like 87% screen to bezel ratio at a relatively minuscule price.

2 Likes