Virtual Phone System

I live in Canada. For many years, I lived in the province of British Columbia. That’s where I got my first cell phone number that I’ve been using for 20 years.
Now I’ve moved back to my home province of Saskatchewan for work. And I intend to retire here.
Many people get confused when I give them my number as it has a BC area code. So I’d like to obtain a second phone number with a Saskatchewan area code. But I can’t do a straight out switch of numbers because my current number is tied to so many companies and websites.
I’d like to add an eSIM to my iPhone with a Saskatchewan phone number. But all of the Canadian mobility companies want me to buy a second plan to do that.
I came across the term ‘virtual phone systems’. It seems to me that one of these systems would allow me to accomplish what I want to do.
Does anyone have any experience with companies that offer this type of service? And, one day, would I be able to port the number they give me to another mobility company?

I think you might be better off buying a residential Fongo phone number for $5/month and then just permanently forwarding that to your cell phone. (It costs about $60 to get the initial hardware, then $5/month thereafter.) They do offer a mobile app and I don’t know how it works cost wise.

Thank you, it all looks pretty good. The only problem I can see is that I don’t think I got to keep the assigned number if I cancel the service.
I’m going to investigate the difference (price wise between the home and mobile app.