Using displayport cables with Logmein/GoTo and multi-monitors

I recently upgraded my graphics card in my computer at work with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti that uses displayport cables. The problem is that now when use Logmein at home to remotely use my work computer, the multi-monitor feature no longer appears as an option. I found out from Logmein/GoTo that their program does not support using displayport connections for multi-monitor access - just hdmi and DVI. I looked everywhere on-line and cannot see a work-around for that other than getting rid of my new $500 graphics card I just purchased and installing one with at least two HDMI ports. This is pretty boneheaded of GoTo considering how many high-end graphics workstations use displayport connections, but they offer no solutions.

Anyone else have this problem, and hopefully came up with a solution that does not involve scrapping a very expensive graphics card?

I can’t see how the cables have anything to do with it. This sounds like a confused support agent. The more likely issue is the drivers for the video card, and/or that Nvidia does dual monitors in some more proprietary way than what you had before. Is it possible your display resolution(s) have changed? That too might potentially cause an issue.

1 Like

We use TeamViewer, 90% of our PCs use 2 DisplayPort or USB-C displays (DP passthru) and it has no problems, it just works with everything from outdated ports, like VGA and DVI, through AV ports, like HDMI, to modern computer ports, like DisplayPort, Thunderbolt and USB-C.

I’ve no idea, what Goto/Logmein are doing, that they are deliberately excluding a large, and growing, portion of the market.

We have a mixture or NVIDIA graphics, Intel integrated graphics and FullHD, through WQHD to 4K, from Windows XP through 7, 8 and 10 to 11 and macOS, as well as iOS.

Amazon Adapters - you can find them on many sites.

Thanks for the response Paul.

LMI Supporting just hdmi, DVI and VGA is directly from the LMI support website, and also was confirmed at a higher Supervisor level by LMI support.

https://support.logmeininc.com/central/help/how-to-work-with-multiple-host-monitors-central-c-remotecontrol-multiplemon

No resolution changes, and I’ve been using LMI in our office for about 10 years with multi-monitors on about 15 computers with no issues until this one change. The only difference was the graphics card swap which resulted in having to use displayport connections, and voila – no multi-monitor support.

All drivers are up-to-date through NVIDIA, and all other computers are working as usual with dual-monitor mapping.

The head support person’s (not) very helpful response was that I should put in for a “new feature request” and wait for them to fix the bug. As LMI is typically reactive and not proactive, I know this could take months or longer, so I’m looking for any kind of fix that doesn’t involve a change to the graphics card.

All other computers in my office use hdmi cables, and all still have multi-monitor function with LMI, so this is either specific to my new graphics card itself or the displayports. All drivers are updated for the card, so not much more I can do with this.

This is what it states on the LMI multi-monitor support website, so they acknowledge the problem using anything but hdmi and DVI (who uses VGA anymore?)

R

I think the issue is that Windows treats DP monitors that are turned off as unplugged from the computer. I’m guessing there’s something in the DP specs that doesn’t allow Windows to tell if a monitor is plugged in but off, or if it is actually unplugged.

1 Like

Interesting, if true. Turning off a monitor that is not in use is good ecology (good for the environment) so I sure hope the design is not that flawed.

1 Like

Tried those and doesn’t work. I assume it’s because the connection to the graphics card is still displayport architecture, so having an hdmi cable downstream of that makes no difference.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

RF

1 Like

That is also an issue I’ve been facing that could support what you’re saying. Using hdmi connections - when I logged in remotely, I’d see the two monitors mapped exactly as I left them; using displayport, when I log in all of the open programs are on the single monitor I can still access, so it’s not “reading” that I have two monitors. I have adjusted the settings every way I can so the second monitor never goes to sleep or otherwise powers down, but no change.

Perhaps the answer lies in fixing that Windows will time out the monitor displays so LMI isn’t aware there are two monitors? Not sure what the workaround is for that, but will continue to look.

Thanks for the response.

It does work like that. When no monitors are turned on, Windows defaults to a single 800x600 ‘monitor’ (Windows 11 might be higher) when you remote in with something that isn’t the built-in RDP.

Well, the comments about DP and monitors sent me down another track. I did a deeper dive on the power settings for both the computer and monitor, and found a setting that seems liked it would prevent the monitors from completely powering down. When I left the office and locked my computer (Windows Key + L), one monitor stayed on with the screensaver, but the second one went into a dimmed-but-not-off state. When I got home and remoted in, the multi-monitor function was back!!

Seems like the issue was always the DP allowing the card, computer or monitors to read as powered off, so LMI didn’t detect the second monitor.

Thank you very much for sending me down that road. I had given up on the remapping of the monitors issue because without the second monitor visible when remoting in, it was actually better to have all open windows pushed to a single monitor. I never connected those dots, so again – thanks!

RF

1 Like

Both monitors were turned on; they were always left on when I left for the day. Turns out either Windows, the graphics card or the monitors themselves were signaling to the monitors after some amount of time to go into a low-power mode. I changed a setting on the monitors (pretty hard to find it turns out) and also changed am advanced power setting in Windows, and voila – the problem has been solved.

For some unknown reason, getting its signals though the DP ports was “tricking” the monitors into thinking they should power down, and that appears to have been the issue until I overrode that setting to go into “low power” mode.

Thanks for your suggestions on this issue.

RF

2 Likes

I doubt it, given that this issue only affects LMI and not other solutions, such as TeamViewer, which have had no problems with DisplayPort for as long as we’ve been using it (8+ years), or at least, if Windows handles DP differently, the other remote access solutions have learnt to deal with it before now.

I think this might be the difference between LMI and products like TeamViewer, TV gives you remote access to the PC, it sends what is being shown on the screen to the remote user, it sounds like LMI is grabbing the screen output and trying to convert it into a stream, to replace the monitors.

TV doesn’t do that, it leaves the screen alone and just mirrors what is on the screen.

We have a 5 session license and we look after a several hundred instances and as I wrote above, 90% of those use DP and multiple monitors. It works great on headless servers and virtual machines as well, for example, we have an extra VM in the management network for doing admin tasks and use TV to attach to that from our regular PCs. It is a very comfortable solution.

Glad you got it sorted.