TWIT 819: Introducing Club TWiT

Agreed! And hiding the tip jar would not be a good idea.

3 Likes

Discord makes me feel old, too. Lol! THX for the support

4 Likes

It’s where it’s always been in the about menu.

2 Likes

I like listening to the new ads, but it isn’t about not hearing ads, it is about the tracking that the advertisers are forcing TWiT to add to their podcast feeds (or rather the use of trackable feed providers).

I’d be happy to listen to the ads on a non-tracked feed, but I have the option, pay for no ads and no tracking or listen for free to a tracked feed… I value my privacy more than the adverts and I am happy to pay small sum for the privilege.

I left a tip at the end of last year, when I go my Christmas bonus, which was actually more than what I will pay for the annual subscription.

5 Likes

I think there is a difference between when Leo is advising other people and when Leo is buying for himself.

He always takes into consideration the situation and the needs of other people whenever they are asking for help and advice but is usually trigger happy when he is buying for himself.

I kinda understand both cases as I also feel the urge to purchase shiny things even when I don’t really need them.

3 Likes

And @Leo has a comfortable income and/or can write-off some of the purchases for business purposes.

Most people don’t have the luxury of being able to buy a $5K gaming rig just to play at being a Viking. :wink:

He therefore has to take budget and other details into consideration when giving advice that he doesn’t have to when “pulling the trigger” on his own purchases.

I earn a comfortable salary and I buy a new phone every 2 - 3 years and a PC every 5 years or so. But that is frequent, compared to most people I know, who will hold onto a smartphone for between 5 and 10 years and a PC at least 10 years, because they don’t have the disposable income to replace the devices more regularly and they have more urgent needs for the money, such as rent and food, so if something still “works” (as opposed to being safe), it won’t be replaced.

4 Likes

I agree if your Job is tech, you can justify spending on things that might seem unnecessary to others. I am on the same boat.

2 Likes

Trust me, I don’t want to buy all this crap.

I buy every bit of tech I can afford so I can help people understand and use it – including that rig I bought “just to play a viking” – in fact I bought it because it was the fastest way to get access to the latest AMD and Nvidia tech. I even run crappy Windows on it so I can understand it better. I choose to do that, instead of taking free review units, because it preserves my objectivity.

It’s part of my job, and the most expensive part. I do it because I don’t want to be in the pocket of any of the companies we cover. And so that I can be of more use to my listeners.

Incidentally, I also buy a bunch of stuff for our in-house hosts. I’m really not looking forward to buying that new iPad for Mikah - but he needs it to do his job.

9 Likes

I’m the guy who has reached, or quickly heading that way, subscription fatigue. The days of free access online are quickly ending, & it’s starting to add up. In order to read news from reputable sources, you have to subscribe. So NYTimes & Wash. Post got added this year. While we have Apple News Plus, you still need to subscribe to some news sources to read certain articles. My wife wanted to work out with her Apple Watch, so first we had to buy her a watch, then pony up $30 a month for access. That 2 TB storage is very handy for 2 people who collectively use about 100 GB of storage… :roll_eyes:

The iPhone 12 brought the need for a more expensive tier for our phone plans to access 5G, which we will probably never use. We did get free HBO Max though. Woo-hoo… In addition to Xfinity cable & internet, there are Netflix, Amazon Prime, Starz, etc. It just seems every day brings something else.

As we hurdle to retirement, we are going to have to cut back in some ways. I hope to be able to continue listening/watching TWIT shows with commercials. I’m just hoping the integration of Club TWIT during shows doesn’t make me feel bad, or constantly remind me that I’m not a member.

I totally understand why you made this decision. I hope it eases your cost concerns about producing your quality shows. :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

I mentioned the “subscription fatigue” thing to my dad once (he is 90) and he was baffled. He said “Just go to the library. They have the newspapers and magazines there. You can check out books, movies, TV shows, books on tape, music. It’s all free. You can even get stuff on your computer and your phone.” Then he pointed out that I pass by the library several times a week. All I could say was “I guess you’re right dad”.
Dad’s have wisdom! :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

As a new Club Twit member, I have been a bit of a loss at how to get the feeds. There is a subscription selection widget, but I have no idea of what that is supposed to do. I don’t use a regular podcast reader. There does not seem to be much info on getting the content other than using a specific podcast readers.

I have been using my own RSS reader software to extract new episodes and downloading them. It has folders for each feed, and my reader gives me a summary of the pending episode for each feed, how long it is, and if its subject (if present). It also manages deleting episodes I have seen, and lets me mark my place if I can’t complete the episode.

It would be nice if there were some RSS feeds for the new content. They could be authorized with my password info or just giving you my public SSL key.

1 Like

Once you join Club TWiT, you can go to “Podcasts” https://twit.memberful.com/account/feeds and select the Club TWiT podcasts you want to subscribe to. At the bottom is an RSS URL that you can copy and paste into your RSS reader. Hopefully your reader will see the audio or video and play that instead of directing you to the episode page on twit.tv…but I suppose it depends on how your RSS reader is configured.

2 Likes

This might not be possible or be way too 80/20 but is there a way we can see all the RSS feeds in a list so we don’t have to use the dropdown?

Hmmm - perhaps in the haste to blame past wreckless behavior, may we have jumped the gun in blaming Autopilot?

1 Like

Thanks! My fault - I was looking on a mobile device and couldn’t see that the “About” entry was opening a submenu, because it was opening below the bottom of the screen without an obvious scroll bar. I’ll know where to look in future. :grin:

I agree, and I might have expressed myself badly. We all have different risk appetites, and having been through some times when there wasn’t enough to pay bills, I prefer to pay things annually in one go when I have the money, rather than commit to monthly subs. That’s just me. I am delighted that it gives people more ways to support TWiT, and that it gives me a guide for making an annual donation by seeing what others are paying. I hope it gives TWiT the stable source of income they need.

1 Like

Thanks. I was concerned about what the subscribe selection did, before using it.

1 Like

This! 100% This! It’s funny how few services seem to understand the desire to have a “paid ahead” situation. If it’s important to me, I don’t want to have a situation develop when funds are tight where I have to go without (cancel a subscription) because of unplanned circumstances. There was a paid budgeting app (YNAB) that I tried to get them to implement a prepaid portion of it… but they thought I was nuts for even requesting such a thing! Hey, we all have our own way of getting things done, we don’t all need to be the same, right?

3 Likes

Maybe they thought the idea of a monthly expense was core to their business. That recurring payment to them is the foundation of your new life of monthly expense tracking and budgeting! :upside_down_face:

Every one’s RSS feed is unique to their account. I’d make a table but it would be my feeds not yours.

We can look at making it easier to get just the feed url. That’s really what you need.

2 Likes