TWIT 814: Imbued With Musk

And don’t get me started on the “Bioweapon Defense Mode” aka HEPA filter.

3 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out exactly who the advertisers are targeting! I’m on another forum like this one that’s religion based discussions. It has ads. One day, everyone was getting ads for bidets that showed a pair of legs on a toilet with a nozzle aimed at their nether regions. Besides being stupid looking, we all pretty much found it inappropriate for a serious faith based forum.

We all agreed to start clicking on the little x in the corner and stating the ad was offensive or inappropriate. While it closes the ad for a moment, everyone had it coming back up over and over for months! I’m sorry but that just shouldn’t happen. Yet, what more could we do?

Btw, I personally couldn’t care less about the ad but I’m sensitive to the fact that many of our members were. Why even have a reporting option if it doesn’t do a thing? Ad blocker software gained quite a few new customers over that one little stupid ad…not what they were aiming for, I’m sure! :triumph:

1 Like

Couldn’t help but laugh when Larry showed his autographed Kennedy campaign sign at the end of the NFT bit. How can you understand the value of that but not understand the appeal of an NFT?

In the case of the bumper sticker, it’s obvious what you’re valuing. I’ll offer Larry $2.50 plus postage for the JFK campaign advertising. I’m sure he can get a better offer.

In my mind, an NFT is kind of like buying a collectible, and then selling the certificate of authenticity separately from the item it authenticates. What value does a piece of paper proclaiming this coin is authentic have when separated from the coin itself?

1 Like

So you’re saying God will take care of it so the faithful don’t have to? tease I think the advertiser knew exactly what they were doing.

2 Likes

Possibly! I’m the token atheist on the forum so I tread lightly but, you’d think a number of people in a single forum complaining would get their attention a little. They found the ad offensive (I just found it stupid) and I don’t think offending the users was their aim. I also doubt the advertisers would spend money just to tweak a bunch of religious is money well spent…this ad continued to pop up for six months or more! I’m also sure it was probably a bulk purchase posted on many forums but how hard would it be to exclude one forum? I honestly don’t know the answer! Maybe the cost of accommodating them was too great?

No, probably not. But on the other hand, as the saying goes “opinions are like toilet holes, everyone’s got 'em” (paraphrased.) So they made an ad to tweak everyone’s sensibilities because that probably actually works better. Thinking along the lines that even bad publicity is better than no publicity… so if someone reacts to an ad, even negatively, at least they reacted and it’s possible the brand lands an impression that doesn’t impress some stigma. I’m not a psychologist or advertiser… and I find MOST ads poorly done (for me) so I assume that poor/distasteful ads still somehow work for enough people to make them useful. shrug

{Insert jumping monkey here} :wink:

1 Like

Exactly, you don’t “own” the work in the same way you do a physical object. It is hard to copy and any copies are fakes and the creator can be prosecuted for creating a fake. (Official reproductions are another matter, and they are generally licensed.)

But anybody can create a copy of the digital goods and it doesn’t lose any fidelity.

All you are paying for is the “certificate”, which, as you say, seems pretty pointless.

I wonder what rights these NFTs give owners? Can you collect royalties for its use, or send a cease and desist for unauthorized use?
As others have pointed out, it seems like it is just a certificate of authenticity which will not hold value by itself.

Although I just realized that an NFT could be used by the insurance industry as a way to track insured assets. Encode SN or other unique info in the token to validate the real item. Could an NFT replace a paper title for a car or house?

If you’re really interested in NFT and other issues of Modern Finance, Kevin Rose’s new podcast is really good. Listen to episode 1 for a complete explanation of NFTs.

Kevin’s going to be on TWiT soon and I’m sure we’ll go into it.

Here are my issues with this stuff:

1. If you buy art, buy it because it’s beautiful. Put it on the wall. Better yet, lend it to a museum for everyone to enjoy. These guys pretend they buy these things because they love the creativity, but it’s apparent that it’s really for the pride of ownership and/or speculation.

2. Please consider the energy consequences of these transactions. The planet is at the tipping point and the expenditure of enormous amounts of energy for something so trivial is inexcusable.

But I agree there are many positive attributes to NFTs and cryptocurrency in general. For example, we take Larry’s word for it that JFK really signed that bumper sticker, but blockchain can guarantee the provenance of collectibles which eliminates a lot of fraud.

Listen to the MoFi episode 1. It’s really interesting.

I just read this post about comic book artists and how NFT will help them sell digital artwork.
Bleeding Cool News: An Open Letter To Comic Book Publishers About NFT From Mike Deodato.