TWIT 786: The Chickenization of America

I’ve seen no difference in how kids/people are treated based on race

That is why I stated skin colour in my opening statement.

Where I grew up, outside the local Chinese and Indian restaurant, there were no coloured people in the town when I was young. I think the first coloured children we had in the school were West Indian twins, who were orphans and had been taken in by the Post Mistress. They were treated with wonder and deference at school, most other children wanted to be friends with them, because they were different.

It varies wildly from locality to locality often do to complete lack of policing standards or non-enforcement of any standards that exist.

I live in a little New England town which is >97.0% white. A state highway runs through the town so I’ve witnessed many people pulled over by the local police in the last 14 years. I’ve observed that whenever the stop has only one police officer, and the driver is allowed to sit in the car, the driver is white. Whenever there are two police officers at the stop, and the driver is made to get out of the car, the driver is non-white.

The town east of here, only >95% white, had it come out that the high school students have been using racial slurs against the tiny population of non-white students for many years. It was brought to light only because a non-white student moved there from a less racist town in a neighboring state and was not going to sit quietly and take it. The police chief of that town excused the racial slurs claiming that the students hurling them aren’t racist they are just jealous because the new kid was a very good athlete who also got good grades.

Two towns to the west of here is a town that was so bigoted against Muslims that they pulled numerous illegal tricks attempting to block the local Islamic Society from purchasing a 30 year abandoned farm for use as a cemetery. A big complaint from residents was that they were worried about noise pollution, from a cemetery. The town was sued for religious discrimination and lost quickly and decisively in court.

The large town directly west is <93% white and in the 14 years I’ve lived here I’ve neither witnessed nor seen reported any racial incidents involving government employees.

5 Likes

Leo has made it very clear that Trump supporters are not welcome here

The twit army is quite broad and we will all possibly have different experiences of life. I live in calm rural France but If we go to Toulouse things can be very different. Again on certain days, but I try and treat people as I would like to be treated. I don’t always succeed but I try my best and hope it is mostly good enough. We must continue to develop for the good of the whole planet. If we don’t change we break! StaySafe.

6 Likes

Can Lisa and I move in with you @msheu - it sounds heavenly!

4 Likes

You are both more than welcome. I think you would find our house quite modest but we could maybe put you both up with our 3 cats.
I first heard you on the TLLTS many years ago. Glad to see you have been able to have a pretty amazing life and keep us informed and amused.

In sickness and health, you and your colleagues have created some amazing shows.
A big thank you to you all.
StaySafe.

5 Likes