TWIG 583: A Barely Tenable Scam

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

@Leo Fun Fact: RBI (Restaurant Brands International) owns Popeyes as well as Tim Hortons, and also Burger King.

Popeyes’ biscuits are alright, but I can make better at home. I just got a recipe off the All Recipes one time, it’s super straight forward. First, though, you need the right tools. You need a dough cutter ( https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Chef-Professional-Stainless-Black-Medium/dp/B01CX1RIMQ ) and a biscuit cutter ( https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-kut-Cutlery-Serrated-Food-Chopper/dp/B000XEA0SK ). Then you need a cup of cool butter (i.e. fridge temperature)–yes it does matter if it’s cool… if you use warm butter it will cause the biscuits to be flatter and less flakey than you want. If you want them shiny, you could use a pastry brush to brush on an egg wash before baking, but I’ve never done it because I like them a bit crispy. I like this recipe because all the measures are nice and simple. These are especially great with a home cooked hearty stew.

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup butter (cool/fridge temp)
2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, and baking powder.
Cut cool butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender until crumbly; stir in buttermilk.
Turn mixture onto a floured surface and knead just a few times to form a moist dough.
Roll/press dough by hand out 1-inch thick; cut biscuits with a floured cookie cutter or round glass.
Place biscuits on an parchment paper covered baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven until tops are golden, about 12 minutes.

2 Likes

Oh my those sound sinfully good. Adding them to my Paprika this instant!

2 Likes

I could not help but notice an error in your show, when Ant mentioned Lewis Hamilton, Leo said he was African America, he is not an African American, he is an Englishman!
He was born and raised in Stevenhage Hertfodshire.

2 Likes

Yes, that irritated me as well.

There is, or when I was still living there (I’m British, but moved abroad in 2002), no such thing as African English or Black English (well, there were those that came from the Black Country, but that was in the English Midlands, where they mined coal, made coke, iron, glass and bricks) etc. Those that were born in England were English (or British for the whole of the UK). Those that had immigrated were then Jamaican, Nigerian, Indian, Pakistani etc.

And that regardless of skin colour.

Dumb mistake, but I corrected myself withing a couple of minutes of saying that.

2 Likes