Took Norton off my PC

AV software sells on fear, not on reality :wink: People FEAR they will have an APT (a long running invader who they never find out about, stealing all their juiciest secrets and selling them to the NSA.) Well come on, we’re all top secret spies here, right?

Well just because you’re not a spy doesn’t mean I’m not: Here I’ll prove it with this top secret encoded message: Vs lbh cenpgvpr fnsr pbzchgvat, gung cebonoyl vapyhqrf ABG univat na NI cebtenz be gbby abg fhccyvrq ol lbhe BF iraqbe.

If you need any help understanding this leetspeak, head over to https://rot13.com/ (tongue FIRMLY in cheek)

OK - I finally had time to do this. I turned off Malware Bytes, and then real time protection came on by itself. So, that was the issue.

Once I got real time protection and restarted - It was fine until Malware Bytes real time protection came back on. Then, real time protection on Defender went away. So, now I know I can’t run malwarebytes in memory. If I turn it back off, Defender stays on…

It sees Malware Bytes as another, complete, antivirus. (if run in memory)

3 Likes

While it may be minor - I think the detection rate on Norton is a little better than Defender, from what I have read. But, now with 3 Chromebooks, I am tired of paying for it. And, I have two, older Malware Bytes lifetime user licenses. So, I don’t pay for that annually, anymore.

But, considering how few times I use my Windows laptop now, I am fine with Defender.

We can argue all day long about the merits of paid AV. Truth is - you SHOULD have something. At least now, Windows offers something for free. I wouldn’t run a Windows PC online with absolutely NO antivirus software of some kind.

Plus, it is hard to break the habit when you have been running antivirus of some kind since back in the Windows 3.1 days…

But, one of the reasons I went Chromebook crazy was because I don’t need to worry about this anymore - at least not in the same way as Windows…

1 Like

Well I hate to say it, but none of them are any good… they’re not going to catch anything brand new, they’re ALWAYS playing catch-up. Basically they have to get it reported some how, then reverse engineer it, then make a detector module configuration ready, and then push it into your PC somehow. I would say if they detect ANYTHING you’ve already lost.

3 Likes