The time, it does fly (Time flies title was too short...)

I just got the badge for 100 consecutive days. Has this community really been going that long?

6 Likes

It’s kind of startling. I see lots of posts in the “suggested” lists that are marked “Oct 19” but it doesn’t really register that was three months ago. :fearful:

3 Likes

I keep thinking of this as being a “new” forum, but I guess it’s not anymore…

2 Likes

Everything is relative :wink: I still remember my first DSL modem and accessing the Internet at home like it was yesterday. It was 1995. I have a geek friend on IRC who was born in 1995. To him the Internet has ALWAYS been a thing :wink:

2 Likes

My first access to Internet was in 1995 too, but at university on big Sun OS and Solaris workstations. That seems like a LOOOONG time ago.

3 Likes

My first access to computers involved terminals networked all over a country and talking to third-party computers through private networks, not the Internet. That was in 1980, so it was definitely a long time ago, and feels even longer! :older_man:

(mumbles something about access to a lawn…)

1 Like

My first Internet experience was 1981, sitting in England and chatting in real time with the Ops in Houston over VAX Phone (a sort of early IRC). The first time I used dial-up was a 300 baud modem in around 1984 and my first, personal modem was around 1994.

I remember on operator at the end of the 80s using the company’s MUX lines to play MUD on the Essex University mainframe. Only he was alone, so he ran 4 characters on the night shift over 4 lines… Went well, until the company got a 4 figure telephone bill for the MUX usage. Luckily he was good friends with the admin who signed off on the bill, they managed to pass it over over several projects, so it went unnoticed, on the promise it would never happen again.

3 Likes

My first full time paid programming gig was on a VAX. (Unfortunately in VAX-Basic, but it was a much better BASIC than what I learned on my Commodore computers.) We used VT-220 terminals, and I still have a very fond memory of the the EDT text editor. I worked the helpdesk, and we occasionally had people connect into it using a text chat similar to what was on Unix at the time. I don’t remember it being called VAX Phone, but it probably was.

2 Likes

I started on VT52s and VT100s. VAX Fortran and DCL. I was an intern for an oil exploration company (Digicon, from Houson TX), working in their UK offices. Great fun and lunch time spent playing StarTrek on the VAX.

1 Like

5 more days and I get mine.

I actually registered the 1st day Leo talked about it. But, I think he was still testing it out. I couldn’t complete the email verification that day, so I gave up and waited 2 weeks or so. When I came back, I had to re-register again…

But yes, my how time flies!

2 Likes

I think I have another week…

2 Likes

My brother (a fair bit older than me) talked about using a VAX at university in the 1980s. That was also a brand of vacuum cleaner…

4 Likes

I worked on VAX’s in the 80’s also, as well as PDP-8’s and PDP-11’s - we used the 8’s and 11’s as controllers on our ATE systems

2 Likes

I was just a kid in the 1980s, so it was all ZX Spectrum, Atari ST and Commodore Amiga for me::slight_smile:

4 Likes

Finally just got mine :smiley:

1 Like

I should have got mine by now but I think because I always have the forum open in a tab that it miscounts me being here. Ah well. Like my visit count is really really low because of that but I don’t know if that effects the consecutive day count.

2 Likes

Oooh, 99 days… Getting close.

1 Like

Yes, you probably have to click around for it to count

1 Like

Oh yeah I get that, I’m on here everyday at least reading I didn’t mean that I expected to get it but just sitting idle I’m definitely active everyday on here. I just didn’t know if since I leave it open in a tab 24/7 if that effects the system counts since it shows my visits as like 30 visits from day 1 even though I’ve “visited” the site everyday.

I don’t leave my browser open once I am done. Maybe it did effect it. Not sure…

Or, maybe you did “skip” just 1 day and the clock reset

1 Like