The Photo Thread - Week of 2020-11-08

A happy and healthy new week with some vertical shots from Saturday’s excursion to the old town of Passau:

11 Likes

Crazy good weather in NYC today means it’s time for a photo walk!

12 Likes

I love Passau, it a great old town. Especially impressive, when you walk along the river and you see the little plaques way above your head that mark the high water levely of floods over the last hundred years or so!

There is a lovely point, where you can stand and watch the Donau and the Ilz(?) flow into one another, a real maelstrom at the best of times.

1 Like

An unusually warm November weekend in New England (75F/23C) made it a good day for a family bike ride.

Yes, Americans are a patriotic lot, but this actually at a seaside memorial for veterans, hence the flags.

And this a small Japanese Maple in our yard that has somehow kept most of its leaves.

12 Likes

The maple is lovely. We have a red maple in our garden.

3 Likes

I am digging the symmetry in that flag photo. Nice composition.

2 Likes

Indeed! The highest watermark measured at the city hall is from 1503. Just a few inches below, there’s one from 2013. 500-year-high-water just a few years back…

There is a lovely point, where you can stand and watch the Donau and the Ilz(?) flow into one another, a real maelstrom at the best of times.

Ilz is correct (had to double check) but we sadly only stayed on the main island. It was a very calm day, too, however.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Is that a folly? It seems to have no depth.

I went to the Riverwalk in San Antonio this weekend…

7 Likes

Sat on the porch and enjoyed a nice cigar on a beautiful November day.

2 Likes

Okay, Passau is added to my post Covid list. It looks as if it would be a good add on for my trip to Zagreb.

1 Like

The “castle” in the picture is actually a Gatehouse for an executive of the Standard Oil Company built long ago. It is named Squire’s Castle named after the executive. the rest of the estate was never built.

1 Like

Sich a shell of a building of cables a folly in English.

Getting away from the news cycle. Spot the sheep.

8 Likes

Very nice photo. I love the subdued colours, really atmospheric.

1 Like

You’re winding me up now :joy:

:smiley: No, honest. I really like that photo!

It’s actually B&W below the horizon. The muddy grass on the hills was all the same colour and didn’t really add anything.

1 Like

Breathtaking! Due to the photography, the view and my current fitness.

1 Like