The Photo Thread: Week of 2020-03-01

Wow. I’m kinda mad. Apparently even an amateur like me understands this photo better than the professional. Assuming it even was a professional, sounds more like an internet troll. Or a scene in a movie meant to introduce a pretentious jerk.

Framed wrong
Well, the focus is the work, not the product or person and the work is centred, how is that framed wrong? Ok, potenially it might be better if the edge included the whole person, or cut in closer so the person fills the entire left side, but as is it still works because the person is framing their work.

Overly saturated
Well, duh. Of course it is, that is the aesthetic they were going for. It’s a “hero shot.” obviously.

No connection to the subject
Say it with me now:
Well duh. The subject is wearing a mask. Even so, I can almost hear the noise that the tool is making, how is that not connected?

Don’t see a story here
You must be looking at the wrong picture then mate, simply by understanding the framing a story emerges.

5 Likes

I’m not even a talented amateur so my opinion counts for little, but I really dislike the photo. It looks like a lot of over processed HDR photos… just because you have math doesn’t mean you always need it. You know what they say, opinions are like…

1 Like

Also the image is taken out of context. The image style may well be perfect when incorporated into whatever piece of work or literature the client wanted. Sometimes, a photo by itself is not the full story.

3 Likes

Like it or not, you probably couldn’t get that shot without HDR though, so it’s a perfect use case. There is probably the potential to damage your sensor with that amount of light being focused by the lenses.

Anyway, I’m not trying to defend the photo, I am criticising the critic.

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with having that opinion.

4 Likes

Wow! What a great shot! :100:

I am glad you like it! :slight_smile: It was a spectacular day. There is a fun phone-wallpaper-sized version of it, too. For people who like blue, lakes, and small towns. :smiley: Should come out full size if opened, I just did not want to make this thread three miles long.

5 Likes

That would make a very nice phone wallpaper. You gave me an idea for using an image that ended up being too long for my blog after I edited to best advantage.

1 Like

Thankyou, yes. You are quite correct.

It just bothers me how that other reviewer chose to comment. I mean how can the framing just be “wrong”? It’s not a maths equation or trivia question. There might be a different framing that could be better, but it’s not wrong.

1 Like

This is too bizarre. The Simulation threw a weird one at me. Here’s your photo posted March 2.
Tuesday, on MBW, Andy’s pick of the week is a Filson bag.
I go to the Filson web site (I own a Filson hat and just love it.). A popup offers 10% off first purchase if I sign up for e-newsletter. Sure what the heck.
This morning I check my email and there’s the “welcome” email with the 10% code. I click “Start Shopping” and holy crap this is the first image I see:

Is that your photo Mr @terrellcwoods?

4 Likes

Just noticed a slight problem with that photo though: who welds without gloves on?

2 Likes

I learned a phrase from my father-in-law who is a meticulous carpenter. He would look at the way someone did something and say “That’s not the way I would do it.” I think that seems much more appropriate when it comes to photograph critiques. If the photo portrays the image the photographer had in their mind it cannot be “wrong.” It is their story. You may not like the story, but it’s not wrong.

3 Likes

Pixel 3, cropped and color popped with Snapseed.

3 Likes

Ooooooooh you got yourself one, huh? NICE

Yep :grin:

4 Likes

Ha! I like the shot but that one ain’t mine. Now just for fun I’m gonna go back and see if I can cool down my series to mimic this shot. Thanks for showing this one.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s always important to remember, especially for people just starting out that critical opinion matters and sometime it does not. The world of subjective critique can be harsh. Just sit in on a casting call to see that reality😉 I appreciate your thoughtful response.

4 Likes

In his favorite chair where those who came before also enjoyed (different chairs though :blush:). Galaxy S20

8 Likes

Week for 2020-03-08 begins here

If you’re still on week 2020-03-01 carry on here, if not… carry on my wayward… I mean carry on in the new thread !

2 Likes

Aren’t you a regale boy! I love this photo, even though I am not a dog person.

1 Like