The Photo Thread: Week of 2019-12-15

Definitely a lot of post. :slight_smile: Thank you
Yeah that place is inward so I could get a sunrise view. Lol!
Shot using a variable ND filter to cut the glare a bit and shoot at a smaller aperture. I started post on this in Capture One then pushed it into Photoshop to do a little more manipulation. Added a few more rays of of light, color graded to a temperature that felt right to me, used Miss Lisa Carney’s dust brush to create a little more atmosphere in the foreground to match up with the fog in the distance.

I had seen this lil’ skate park in Petaluma and wanted to go shoot there. Finally had a chance yesterday to do so. These lil’ kids were having so much fun. And they really loved showing off for me. Lot of harsh light that time of day, but it was the only opp I had to shoot since my momz is in town from Carolina.

6 Likes

Hopefully you don’t mean that as a meta comment on life :stuck_out_tongue:

That does beg a question though… I’ve not pursued either enough to know the answer myself. Other than the fact that you can’t take the exact same photo at sunrise and sunset because of the motion of the sun itself, is the amount of light the same between them? As in… does the amount of light for photography at 20% sunrise basically equal the amount of light at 80% sunset? I guess what I am asking is how could you tell the two apart in a photo?

1 Like

This is such a great shot. I love the good depth of field.

Okay…eagerly awaiting the HOP episode(s) that explain/demo all that.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Appreciate that.

ND Filter(s) are on my shopping list. I’m a huge fan of longexposurephotography on Instagram. Max Rive. Do you prefer the variable to the fixed?

1 Like

I don’t have a preference as I don’t use them too often, but I would pick a variable first. But, with variable filters, you have to be mindful of the the cross pattern showing if you push it too far. Supposedly, Polar Pro has solved the cross pattern problem, but I don’t have one of their filters.

A quick snap of our table as we setup for Christmas lunch.

Merry Christmas everyone

7 Likes

This is siiiick. Love the frame. I’d love to put a moon in it or something.

1 Like

Looks like an ad. Nicely done

1 Like

I shot a few recently. Still looking at post processing, though.

5 Likes

I like the photo of the table!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Interestingly when you edit a photo taken in astrophotography mode in Google Photos; it offers a specific Astro profile for a quick enhancement.

4 Likes

Didn’t notice. Hmmmmm. Thanks for sharing

Haha, honestly I was wondering the same thing as I wrote that post. I don’t actually know whether sunrises are better or worse, I’ve never taken a photo of a sunrise. :sleeping:

I do suspect there is a difference though, because of the light wavelengths.

2 Likes

Main problem for me is being in the wrong part of the country. I don’t ever get the sun low over the sea at sunrise in South Australia. Not in this part anyway.

2 Likes

Funny, I often think of sunrises and sunsets as needing open water, but many of my best sunsets are over land

Like the Washington Monument

3 Likes

Thanks for the input…added to photography OneNote.

3 Likes

I just mentioned to Ant that I have a OneNote for photography were I keep all sorts of info from articles, web sites, how tos, suggestions from @ant_pruitt… There is a OneNote web clipper plug-in for most browsers. Works great.

Here’s a good article I just stashed away:

3 Likes