The Photo Thread: Week of 2019-12-15

We decided to go with a recycled “Christmas tree” this year. My wife used the cutting from the garden, the legs are from a silver birch, the rings are woven from cuttings from the bushes.

The photos on the wall behind are photos I made when we first moved in to the house, my wife re-did the whole garden and I photographed the changes in the garden over the year and printed a photo-book of the garden and 5 prints of close-ups of flowers in the garden.

3 Likes

Love that layering :+1:t2:

1 Like

Working with my new Olympus 600mm equiv lens

8 Likes

The bird is very pretty, but that much background blur disturbs me for some reason I can’t place.

2 Likes

I thought it looked awesome. To each his own. It was mostly sky so what else are you going to get?

1 Like

It does look awesome, it’s a brilliant photograph. But I know what PHolder means because I find it very stressful to look at any photograph where part of it is out of focus, although I can’t explain why. Up until now I thought I was alone in this odd reaction. Bokeh makes me want to look away. Unsurprisingly, my favourite photographs are Victorian time-exposures with enormous depth of field. Must be something about the way my brain is wired…

4 Likes

I guess it depends what the story is. I can imagine what you are talking about and that would cool to see.

1 Like

@PHolder do you like this better?

Frankly I think it’s kind of crappy because of the distraction.

4 Likes

Compromise?

6 Likes

I don’t think you need infinite depth of field, so your bird on the ground is very nice to me. As for the one in the trees I see both sides of the argument. If the background weren’t there it would make me uneasy, but if there is too much background it can be a bit distracting.

If it were me, I would crop more of the foreground tree out. There are two ways to do that. One is keeping the bird centred which would lead to more of the background trees also being cropped out, and making the bird larger and more of the focus. The other would be to put the bird on the 1/3 line of the picture and not intentionally centring it.

But in any case, the detail is amazing and the birds are beautiful and your photography skills are in evidence… so good job! The rest is just taste (and maybe some after shoot processing.)

4 Likes

Thanks for the input. I was just happy to find the birds in the view finder! 600mm is tough. Next will be adding the 2x converter. :astonished:

3 Likes

Christmas Greetings from Australia. Just a quick snap while I was on my lunch break.

iPhone Xs. Cropped.

4 Likes

I see the feeder and the bird, my eyes went straight to it, my brain ignores the rest.
Fantastic shot, I’d like that on my wall !

Thanks for that. Glad you like it.

I thought I’d go back and crop this one. To me, its fair in composition. Very happy with the clarity.

9 Likes

Yes, I like this version much better, and the extra stuff in the back now stands out less and the slight blur gives it a very nice sense of depth. And yes I agree the clarity is outstanding.

3 Likes

late sunrise shot at Doran Beach. I’ll eventually get there for actual sunrise. Lol!

10 Likes

bah, sunrise’s are overrated. Sunset is much better.

2 Likes

And I think I’m hard on myself. Wow.

2 Likes

Love the photo. Any post processing?

I had to do a Google Map search to see how you could get a sunrise over the Pacific Ocean. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like