Sam - What pickup truck brand would you choose?

@samabuelsamid - If you were in the market for a 2-4 year old, used 3/4 ton pickup, what brand would you choose? I’ve owned Fords and Chevys over the years and have had okay experiences. I’m rather neutral on both of them. They’ve both had some issues. I’ve always avoided Dodge. Should I?
And yes, it has to be a 3/4 ton. I tried pulling my camper with a 1/2 ton. That was scary.

I’d prefer a gas engine. Is there a reason I really should consider diesel. I live in Wisconsin if that matters.

My trim level choice: if it has heated/cooled leather seats, I’m good to go.

I owned a Honda Ridgeline. That was an awesome vehicle. Unfortunately, only the “big three” make trucks that can pull my camper.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @P_J, Fiat Chrysler sells trucks under the Ram brand now instead of Dodge. In many ways, they are better than any of the competitors, they certainly have the nicest interiors and they are absolutely competitive on towing capability and payload.

I certainly understand the need to go with a 2500 if you have substantial towing needs. The big question is how frequently you tow that camper. A gas engine towing a heavy load will see a substantial reduction (usually 50% or more) in fuel mileage. If you only need to tow the camper a few times a year, it’s not a big deal. However, if you are towing any significant distance more than a handful of times, you may want to consider a diesel. The diesel options aren’t cheap, but diesels love loads and the drop in mileage will be much smaller. When you consider that you are starting from may 15 mpg to begin with, every mpg means much more in terms of consumption and cost. Check out this article for an explanation https://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/23/greenlings-where-are-the-most-important-mpg-increases-at-the-u/

GM, Ford and Ram all have excellent options for 3/4-ton diesels. You might also want to take a look at the Nissan Titan XD which offered an excellent Cummins 5.0-liter V8 diesel (discontinued this year). They weren’t huge sellers but it will tow 12,000 lbs. It’s kind of an in-betweener between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton. You might be able to get a good deal on that one if buying used.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying Sam. Appreciate it.

How is the reliability of the Rams?

Camper only gets pulled 5 - 8 times per year. Otherwise the truck is my daily ride. I also pull a small horse trailer from time to time.

1 Like