Question of the day - What was the first music cassette tape/LP you ever bought?

Do you remember the first music cassette tape/LP you ever bought? What was it?

4 Likes

Maybe not my first, but one of my earlier music related memories. This is going to be a very old fashioned statement, but in the summer between 8th grade and freshman year (1991) I begged my dad to drive me down to the local Blockbuster so I could buy the new Metallica black album on Compact Disc (where I grew up Blockbuster rented movies but also had a music store section). Enter Sandman was all over the radio. Got the CD, listened to it for days straight. Soon after I got all their old CD’s, been a metal head ever since. Now my 11 year old son plays Enter Sandman on his drum set and its awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As a point of clarification I like all types and kind of music but my heart is with rock and tech. It wasn’t my first, since my first was the chipmunk’s Christmas song, but The Joshua Tree by U2 spoke to me in high school and got me through some tough times.

2 Likes

1st. Alman Brothers : Live at the Filmore East - 2nd. Lou Reed : Rock and Roll Animal

5 Likes

Two of the greatest live R&R albums of all time!

2 Likes

The first music I bought for myself was from that record club, where you got so many LPs for a penny each, with an agreement to buy a certain number more. I bought all classical, because I just had to be different from the other kids. One was the best of Pavarotti. I feel in love with his voice, and on my 27th birthday I went to see in concert in at small venue in Boston.

Before that my parents bought me a tiny 45 rpm record player and a bunch of children’s records I loved.

When I was a teen, my mom gave me a mono tape portable tape deck and several soft rock tapes. I remember Simon and Garfunkel, CCR, and Billy Joel being among them. Basically they are all the songs I still favor on Karaoke night.

3 Likes

So sad… This was my 1st one… It was around 1984…

2 Likes

Yes, who else did this? - I did it in high school :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My first cassette I was given as a gift and start to my collection was “Dookie” from Green Day and still have those special tapes still to this day

2 Likes

I got a ton of CD’s this way. It was essentially 1990’s Spotify :smiley:

3 Likes

In high school English studies we were studying poetry and our teacher had us analyze the Billy Joel song “Anthony’s Song (Moving Out)” as if it were a poem. She of course played the song for us as well. This sparked something in me. To this day I am still a Billy Joel fan. I went the following weekend to K-mart and bought my first ever album, on cassette, Billy Joel’s “Greatest Hits”. That started me (no doubt like many a tech nerd) down a long path of spending too much money on music and playback tech.

4 Likes

With my own money, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John, Band on the Run by Wings, and Ringo by Ringo Starr. I was 14 and had just started a summer job. I did also later do the record club thing.

2 Likes

Agreed. I especially love Rock and Roll Animal.

1 Like

AC/DC - High Voltage

I was about 5 or 6 when my mother bought it for me. I must’ve liked the cover, because my parents didn’t listen to that type of music and MTV wasn’t even around at that point.

1 Like

Weird Al - Off the Deep End

1 Like

The Carpenters The Singles: 1969-1973

2 Likes

My first LP purchase was Spirit: Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

1 Like

Not sad…that was a fun album back in the day!

1 Like

OMG, I got so much music this way…probably half my record collection.

1 Like

First LP, Best of Blondie (1981). Drove my parents nuts with it.

2 Likes