Netflix Password Sharing

Just listened to a conversation on This Week in Tech about Netflix’s new password sharing policy.

While I’m not thrilled about it because my adult daughter uses my login, but I’m also confused about another issue with this policy change. On the TWIT episode, they mentioned that Netflix will verify via IP address. We have a second home in PA and I always bring my Apple TV up there when we go there. So does that mean Netflix won’t work there because it will be a different IP address?

Just not sure if that will render Netflix un-usable while at our 2nd home.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Probably, it will be flagged and you will simply get an SMS/email to the registered number/email address to verify that it is you. That is how they are doing it at the moment.

2 Likes

Hopefully, Netflix will implement a security check the first time you login from the other house. A code emailed to you for example.

This policy is odd though. Why not just continue to offer various plans with different numbers of parallel streams?

2 Likes

They aren’t changing anything. All they are doing is starting to enforce the current terms and conditions.

The multiple streams has always been for members of the same household, just they never used to enforce that latter part, now they are starting to crack down on those “abusing” the system.

3 Likes

The T&Cs don’t mention the same household, just stuff about the account holder being responsible for usage and the config of the devices. Does say you can’t give people the password. But I didn’t read anything that prohibited me from setting up Netflix for my parents (for example).

Maybe they should do something similar to Sky Go. On that you nominate devices that you can stream to (TV, PC. tablet etc.) up to a limit.

Per Netflix Terms of Use: “The Netflix service and any content viewed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household.”

I suppose there is some wiggle room around how you define “your household”. Is it a physical place? A family unit? Does it include dependent children away at school? Is it a state of mind? I think Netflix purposely leaves this open to interpretation and assumes that most people will not abuse it. They do have a built in limiter, though, in the form a maximum number of concurrent streams. I guess if you really wanted to stick it to Netflix you could share your password with a hundred people and then come up with a rotation to maximize each person’s viewing time.

2 Likes

Personally I hate the limit on number of devices. This has been a PITA for years with iTunes. I don’t want to keep track of that and then be responsible for unregistering devices. And I don’t think Netflix wants to put any kind of barrier to you accessing your content-- they want you using as many devices as you have.

Appreciate all the replies. I’m definitely not abusing my Netflix account and sharing my password with various friends / family. More than fine to verify my account while at our weekend home. Just don’t want have to purchase another subscription to use while away there.

Glad I understand now, just hadn’t heard any clear direction on this scenario.

Thank you.

1 Like

This is the screen if you hadn’t seen it. Pretty self-explanatory.

2 Likes

Quote “If you don’t live with the owner of this account” This is defiantly a change. When my granddaughter was away in school in Colorado I called NF to see if it was alright for her to use my account? They said yes as long as I was paying for the extra screens.
This is no longer an issue since she graduated and now has her own account.

This screen isn’t going to stop people. All that will happen is a text message from A to B saying I got the screen, send me the code.

I’ve never watched Netflix (yes seriously) so I may be talking out my butt, but I presume it does provide an easy out (and a reminder) for situations where you previously felt pressured and now don’t care. Say ex’es or friends you’re no longer close to (say you moved away, etc.)

Yes, according to a definition of the word I found on Google, that’s exactly what it means - “a house and its occupants regarded as a unit.”

I do agree that, so long as you are paying for one of the plans that gives you two or more screens, then you should be fine since it’s not as if they’re loosing money from it

The point was made on TWiT, I think by @Leo, that you could just hop to another service if they did enforce it. They might not have a monopoly on streaming, but they have a monopoly on Stranger Things and The Witcher

They could do it by IP address by checking to see if two IP addresses are logged into the same account at the same time

1 Like