MacBook Pro 16”

The 16” pro just landed in my email

From £2399

Luck you, I had to pay for mine! :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl::rofl: plus however many characters are needed for a legit post.

3 Likes

It is a good thing I am still down in South America, or I would have already ordered one. Now I am going to have to wait until I get back to the US in March. That should give me time to see if there are any deal killers about the new laptop. I am once burned, twice shy, after the horrible keyboard on my current MacBook.

I’m one of the scissor-switch faithful, won’t touch any Mac newer than our old i7 MBA and 2015 i7 MBP. Hopefully, this is the start of Apple refreshing their whole line with decent keyboards.

1 Like

I’ll let you know. Mine arrives Wednesday. :partying_face:

5 Likes

Judging by Rene Ritchie’s first impressions, I hope you’re going to be very pleased. :heart_eyes::crossed_fingers:

Interesting.
My “build” comes in at $3699. 32GB RAM, 8GB graphics, 2TB SSD.
A similarly spec’d Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen2 with OLED display but only 1TB SSD comes in at $4499.

I need a new photography machine. What to do? What to do?

1 Like

I’m holding onto my 2015 MBP for dear life for similar reasons.

1 Like

Sounds identical to my build @P_J

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray

2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz (this is the second fastest CPU choice - I didn’t think the step up would make much of a difference)

32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
2TB SSD storage
16-inch Retina display with True Tone
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Backlit Keyboard - US English
Accessory Kit
$3,699.00

3 Likes

What do you plan on using for?

1 Like

If the keyboard is good this will become my primary machine for everything.

Photo editing is probably the most CPU intensive thing I do. I’ve been struggling with my workflow lately, especially because I’d like to integrate the iPad Pro into the mix.

My current thinking is that I’ll use Photo Mechanic to ingest the RAW files from my Sony A7R4, select the keepers there, then import into Lightroom Classic and Apple Photos (this because LR’s handling of 61 MP RAW files is pig slow - but maybe it won’t be on the new MacBook Pro. Not sure if the upgraded GPU will make a difference there but it’s worth a try).

I hate Adobe’s cloud solution, but I’ll probably use that to sync the keepers to the iPad.

LR’s editing is usually enough for me, but I sometimes use Luminar Flex as a plug-in for both LR and Photos. Also Aurora for HDR. I could do the same on Windows but Microsoft really seems to have lost its way with Win10.

I also use whichever computer I’m on for coding - Racket and Lisp primarily. Emacs as the editor for the latter.

What are you using yours for @P_J?

2 Likes

I can’t wait to find out what your opinion is of it in March, when I will be ordering mine. Good thing it didn’t come out at the end of October before I left the US again. The keyboard is the most important thing to me, the large screen second, and large storage capacity third. I have been saving up since the first rumors were reported, and will keep saving until March. I will probably max out the specs to the point it wipes out that savings.

2 Likes

Use - about the same as you: photo editing. Import from the SD card using LR (which I agree is pig slow even with the 37 MB files from my O-MD E-M1). Process in Lightroom with Flex or right in Luminar.
I don’t use the Adobe cloud service and have no interest in editing photos on my iPad.
I’m going to look into Photo Mechanic.

Can’t wait to see what you think of it!