LogMeIn selling to private equity firms

And then, nothing might be any different. We’ve got to be careful not to confuse speculation with certainty, or rush to a conclusion before the facts emerge.

3 Likes

Exactly. The same speculation was raised when LogMeIn bought LastPass, but the service hasn’t really suffered. People were panicking and looking at alternatives, but the basic premise of LastPass hasn’t suffered.
I’m concerned about LogMeIn selling out, but I’ll wait and see what happens, before I start jumping up and down and screaming.
As has been said, I’d like to hear Steve’s opinion on this and @Leo’s, but until something actually happens, they can also only speculate. I’d prefer they waited, analysed the new situation and then give their opinion. At the moment, they can only say, “it could be good, it could be bad.”

2 Likes

I strongly disagree with that assessment. I went from being a paid user with hardware Yubikeys to letting my subscription lapse. The reasons were the trebling of price for no apparent reason (no valuable new feature added) and the shi**iest service I have ever had from a company in recent memory. I no longer recommend LastPass to anyone… there are better options that aren’t being ruined by the “money extraction” juicer.

I have found LP’s customer services to be terrible and the interface for account options and settings sometimes confusing and overly complicated. BUT, I do find once I have it set up, it works fine for me in most instances. However, I am looking at “cleaner” alternatives. I am trying out BitWarden and liking it EXCEPT it locks every time you close your browser. (I want it to lock only when I log out of my system or lock the computer).

1 Like

I think retraining myself would be major hassle,but not insurmountable if needed to be done. I am happy with the browser integration at the moment, despite odd behaviours on some sites. Works pretty well in iOS too with the integration with the keyboard (this is one area I prefer over Android) and Face ID makes LastPass almost seamless. I don’t know if there are any other password managers out there that work the same way.

1 Like

I was able to retrain myself in about 30 minutes on BitWarden. It’s way more simplified than LP but seems to have most of the functionality. Not sure about FaceID.

Is there any way of importing from LastPass?

I can see an Import function. I think you Export from LP and then Import. I wanted to start fresh so I disabled LP in my browser and went through all my key sites and copied and pasted usernames/passwords for each. Took me a while but I thought it would be better than keep all the old ones in a new application. And, I’ll still keep my LP vault just in case for several months if something were to come up.

2 Likes

I highly doubt that he had knowledge of this prior to it hitting the papers. They are a sponsor of Leo’s. I’m sure they will honor the contract. They are still in business, just with a new owner.

3 Likes

Regardless of the cause, it’s a LastPass issue because automatic filling is one of their main marketing and selling points. The first two screenshots on their homepage show automatic filling.

True, the LastPass portion of the service didn’t suffer, however LogMeIn did kill off the Xmarks part of the service which LastPass had promised to keep going. LogMeIn upped the LP pricing so they no longer had to give a price break to users like me that paid for both.

I remain puzzled by how convenient the login experience is for some websites. Some websites my credentials auto-fill the second I click login, Amazon for example. While others such as Gmail require clicking the LP icon to launch the LP dropdown. MyFitnessPal, LP auto-fills both username and password soon as I click login. So @PaulHutch , your understanding is, clicking the LP icon to launch the LP dropdown, is normal and any automation beyond is what?

How did I get involved in this portion of the conversation?

Anyway, for me LastPass rarely autofills correctly any more. I’m sure it’s the site’s trying to be clever and LastPass not getting the level of maintenance/development to keep up. In Firefox, for example, I think the whole change from plugin to extension (in Firefox 57) was a big blow to their capabilities.

Sorry @PHolder, selected the wrong @P from dropdown.

@PHolder, I double-checked using other browsers and found same experiences so I remain convinced ability to auto-fill is site specific and there is likely proprietary login scripting methods in place for security reasons. The test would be to know if other password managers can do better job with auto-fill on same sites LP is falling short.

No, according to the LastPass sales/marketing information, and how it almost always worked for me when I first started using it ten years ago, the normal situation should be LastPass automatically fills in and presses login when the login form for a website shows in the browser.

You seem desperate to blame the loss of functionality over the past decade on others rather than the company that says it does something.

If they changed their marketing to say: “We try to automatically log you in but it rarely works. So we try to automatically fill in information but that also rarely works. So we then try to fill the form when you manually click the LastPass dropdown but that frequently doesn’t work. So then you’ll have to manually copy/paste the login name and then manually copy/paste the password.”, then I’d lower my expectations to the performance I actually experience.

However that experience is not really worth the $36/year I’m paying when there are many competing products, some FLOSS that provide that low level of functionality. If on top of that they raise the price again I’ll switch to another password vault system.

1 Like

More so not being naive about the login script sophistication that has come about due to such things as credential stuffing attacks. Will be interesting to experience other password managers and see how they handle majority of today’s logins.

This is really funny… thank you for the chuckle!!

1 Like

As soon as I heard about Logmein selling out to hedge funds, started looking around. Found Bitwarden, and am right at home. LastPass has an export function that worked perfectly for me, export from LastPass, import to Bitwarden, and bob’s your uncle. Bitwarden is free, including being able to use it on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Linux, etc. I paid the $10 fee to support them, but didn’t really need to.

Have Bitwarden working well on my Mac and Windows desktops (including offline vault access) and Linux laptop, as well as my iPad, and the iPhone and Samsung S10 that I switch between occasionally. Duo push security is a bit of an administration hassle initially, but after you get up on the learning curve, works fine for push (like LastPass Authenticator). Problem is that Duo is built for the enterprise, and I’m not one smile.

The only thing that I miss is the survivor thing that LastPass has. In it’s place, I created a collection for my wife that has all the passwords that she’ll need should I disappear somehow smile. So she has a BItwarden account, and access to those passwords. Since I trust her, I feel that this is fine.

Anyways, very happy with Bitwarden, and not worried about LastPass and hedge funds anymore. Although I haven’t canceled LastPass yet…I was going to wait until I found out if there were any gotchas with Bitwarden that I couldn’t live with. Nothing has come up in the month I’ve been using it, so I’m about ready to cancel my LastPass subscription.