Introductions. What's your story?

Quadcopters!?! Please feel free to share any photos. What a fun hobby! Thank you for the wonderful introduction :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When my skills get to the point that I’m willing to risk putting a GoPro on them and possibly destroying them, I’ll post some stills. Or videos if it’s doable. These are much faster and agile than the ones you see used for aerial photography.

4 Likes

Hi Everyone – I like many of you heard about the community page weeks ago when it was mentioned on TWiT, and then promptly forgot about signing up. I’ve been a technology enthusiast for years, mostly through A/V technology. I’ve been a media producer (radio with NPR, independent video producer), a media studies teacher, and non-profit project manager. I’m now studying the learning sciences and how it’s theories can be applied to news and media literacy education – a field I’ve been involved with for close to 10 years now. I’ll also mention that I produce and edit a podcast for the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.

I only vaguely remember watching Leo on ZDTV, and can’t recall what got me to start listening to TWiT, but it was my introduction to Podcasts way back in 2006 or 2007, when I started listening on my iPod each week during my morning commute.

Looking forward to engaging with the community!

9 Likes

I’m Peter. 30 years in I.T., 20 in financial markets. Probably (co-)wrote Australia’s first ever database driven website in 1996 using web.sql which was Sybases’ commercial version of sybperl. Been doing everything from large scale dev and infrastrcuture projects to sysadmin and java microservices as well as blockchain. Lately in IT Security/SecOps and am member of the Zelcore team.

An Aussie living in NZ and been a fan of Leo and co since the TechTV days. I try to watch live but the timezones (TZ) make it difficult. Faves in no order: TWiT, MBW, Security Now, TWiG (dark mode here Mr J !!) , TWICH, FLOSS and TWIET too. I miss the TWIL show as TZ wise it was on at a good time for me and i had it on in the background on my Saturday morning and was always topical.
I can help with hardware and software and dev. i’m actively in Go (go-lang) and have boatloads of exp as mentioned above.
cheers
Peter

edit: Mac and Linux here - prefer not to help with windows even tho i’ve come from a Win32 dev background (MS certified) and i’m forced to use a very very locked down Win10 computer in my current contract. Solaris, RHEL and WSO2 certified too.

10 Likes

Long time listener… blah blah blah… as they say.

I am an Sys Admin for a small non-prof in Atlanta. Avid outdoor photographer, off-roader and electronics hobbyist.

I love to fix what’s broken…

I listen to most of the shows during my daily commute.
TheTechGuy always reminds me to be humble.
SecurityNow keeps me up on the latest threats
WindowsWeekly… okey, not just me … Windows is broken
MacBreakWeekly… keeping up on all the iStuff. Sometimes I have to FF through Andy’s rambles.

Thanks for the Community!

7 Likes

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos on the Weekly Photo threads:

https://www.twit.community/t/the-photo-thread-week-of-11-3-19/3601

3 Likes

Hi Everyone! Great to be here! I have been listening/watching Leo since the Tech TV days. I am one of the few who does still use my Ipod to listen to the Twit network podcasts. I am happy for this community as I am not able to listen live and get into the chats. Thanks for starting this up! I live in Kansas and have better knowledge of tech thanks to Leo and his shows than most people I work with or know.

9 Likes

Hello! I am from Montreal, QC, Canada. Huge fan of Leo Laporte since Call for Help which I would watch pretty much daily back when I was in High School. Lab with Leo was great too! I enjoy many of the TWiT podcasts now. His shows contributed for my inspiration to pursue computer science. Thank you, Leo and your team for the awesome content!

9 Likes

Hi I only go back about 15 years or so with podcats and Twit, but I’ve been a geek from way back as a child I became a space geek watching the moon landing live, at school, I am also a book geek (book worm) from childhood.

I got into computers in 1987 when I went to uni (University/College) I took up computers to complement my first love Mathematics, Computers took up a life of their own, I became a professional computer programmer after finishing my BSc and Honours in pure maths, in 1991 I have been a programmer ever since, I mainly program in Perl and Python but I prefer C++ and Perl6, but I know > 20 languages, I was a Windows Delphi programmer, and C++Builder coder, but I am now a Linux coder solely.

In 1991 I took up Video/TV in my church, Hillsong Church (volunteer) I do CCU (the irises and colour balance, blacks etc), which I still do. before that I was a sound guy at church.

What ever I do it seems to involve tech. I listen to “The Tech Guy”, “Security Now”, TWIT, TWIG, “FLOSS Weekly” and many other non twit ones

9 Likes

Hello. Kernel_Panic here.

My interest in computers and other tech-related stuff started when I was an innocent little child watching ZDTV shows on local TV. The shows I remembered were Call for Help, The Screen Savers, and the other one that I forgot. It is a show about the latest video games in the market, and the host is a 3D-rendered red-haired woman - which I believe is a unique approach in presenting TV shows back then. Please forgive me if it is not a ZDTV show. :sweat_smile:

My interest grew larger after we got our dial-up internet and started to surf the “World-Wide-Web” - a place back then where each web page is unique, and each article does not have a “Like” and “Share” button.

Fast forward, my interest still continues to grow. I “Distrohop” Linux OSes for a couple of years, learning concepts like “FLOSS” and “Kernels” along the way. I do Python for fun, and I hope I can use it for serious projects in the future.

After discovering TWiT, I always listen to the latest “All About Android”, “This Week in Tech”, “Triangulation” and of course, “The Tech Guy” episodes. I always have that nostalgic feel whenever I watch TTG.

Also…um. Hi, @Leo.

9 Likes

I love Montreal! I was lucky enough to visit when I was younger. Welcome to the TWiT Community!

3 Likes

png
Former member of TWiT Army thread.
I’m a semi-retired medical imaging engineer for a major OEM.
I reside in the Big (central) Valley of CA with my retired wife (a teacher).

6 Likes

Hi team,

I’m an old time tech maven and computer technologist - been in technology since I was in the Marine Corps and was trained in Electronics Technology and RADAR maintenance. The first digital computer system, that I worked on was the DEC PDP-8. I have owned many computers over the years: Commodore VIC-20, 64, SX-64,128 - Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3, 4, 4P, Tandy 1000, 2000, Compaq Luggable, Several DOS and Windows laptops, Apple IIe, Apple IIc, Mac SE, MANY MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iMacs, an eMac and 3 MacBook Airs. I spent the last 32 years working in the computer industry at HP and Apple - and I retired last week!!!

5 Likes

My high school best friend had a Commodore 64, then a Apple, then a Macintosh through the 80’s. Bought a computer (HP Pavillion) with a roommate in 1995, only way we could afford it. I went all in with windows95, msn, (still part of my email address) internet etc. while my roommate remained just lightly interested. When MSNBC launched had my first media meeting with Leo as Dev Null on The Site. Later when I found out about the cable channel TechTV, I watched it constantly, becoming a fan of Leo and the whole crew. As I was becoming a gadget user, new computers, MP3 players, cell phones, (my first was a Sanyo!) TechTV informed my purchasing decisions, as well as developing a sense of community in my mind, a sense of belonging. Devastated when it changed, but continued to watch for the limited prurient male gaze oriented entertainment. I think I fount out about TWIT a few weeks late to hear the first episodes live, but have been watching and listening ever since. Watch TWIT, IOSToday, Macbreak Weekly religiously, some of the others less so. Have since migrated to Apple from windows, starting with iPod, then iPad, then iPhone, then a Mac mini, then a MacBook Air.
Leo is a hero. There are so many others like me who have come to an understanding of how tech can shape our lives, good and bad, due to what he and his crew do. Sure he is a human being, flawed like the rest of us, but a hero nonetheless. The network has something for everyone who has a head for tech, and I am thankful for it.

8 Likes

Hi Everyone!

Been a fan since the TechTV days. It was definitely my motivation to become an IT professional. Right now my job mostly involves enterprise level security (ransomware protection, disaster recovery orchestration, etc). I’m normally floating around on IRC when not working on stuff. Woo for a TWIT forum!

10 Likes

Hello Twits

I found Leo about 5 years ago and decided to go back and start listening to everything from the beginning which has been a great journey.

I actually have lots of time to listen as I listen while I’m working. I’m on a computer 8-10 hours a day for work so it helps pass the time a little faster and I get to learn because that is why we are all here isn’t it? Being a techie means life long learning for me. I work for a company doing some IT work but also refurbishing electronics that would normally be disposed of by large companies into the land fills and instead I get to see a lot of these devices have a second life through a little cleaning and preparing or sometimes even repairing and refurbishing them. So I get to see a little bit of everything which is awesome. Glad to be here and I hope to learn more and possibly help where I can!

6 Likes

Welcome! You’ve managed to hear more shows than I’ll probably ever manage. :wink:

Glad to hear you’re extending the life of tech gear. Most of my kit is refurbed ex-corporate stuff: it gives me excellent service and makes me feel good about keeping it out of landfill too.

2 Likes

@Clayton Most of my stuff is too. Very seldom that I buy anything new anymore unless I have to have something particular that I couldn’t get otherwise. Glad to hear from people that this stuff benefits! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A big Hello from the south coast of England :sunglasses: ( aka the UK for those who only know us Brits under that umbrella :wink: ) .

I’ve been listening to the podcasts for years now and try to watch as many of the recorded videos as I can when I’m on my PC. I was always sad that I couldn’t join in the chatroom as our time zones are incompatible for a lot of things.

I mainly like TWiG, AAA, TWiT, SN and occasionally dip into the Windows Weekly show. Of course there are new shows to catch up on now…so my mp3 player will have to work overtime when I’m away from the house! I don’t stream data on a phone as I’m on a PAYG sim.

As a general rule, I am regarded as rather strange for being interested in tech and not in ‘traditional’ feminine things :roll_eyes: but I’ve got used to the glazed expressions when I answer the “what are you interested in?” conversational gambit. It’s a good thing that I’m actually an introvert and rarely leave my house and therefore it doesn’t bother me much if they think I’m odd.

So happy that Leo has set this up and I will thoroughly enjoy being part of this particular community :relaxed:

9 Likes

Computer science grad ~2007 have been in finance industry since about then. Favourite hosts:

• Leo
  • Iain Thompson
  • Greg Ferro
  • Ant Pruitt
  • Alex Lindsay
  • The dude that calls Leo “Uncle leo”
  • Andy Ihnatko

Frustrations:
Lots of mistakes with no errata.

Summary:
Really enjoy 3 or 4 of the shows

8 Likes