Immutable picture storage

Friend of mine with Android phone needs cloud picture storage but not the kind that simply synchronizes and empties deleted items in 30 or 60 days. My wife loves Forever.com for permanent storage but it comes with at a price. Might still be the easiest for someone very non-technical. Guessing 50GB capacity would be fine.

Why not Google photos or Amazon photos?

Don’t they auto-empty deleted items in 30 or 60 days?

I asked BARD if i delete photo from phone will it delete from amazon photos?

No, deleting a photo from your phone will not delete it from Amazon Photos. Amazon Photos is a cloud storage service that backs up your photos from your phone and other devices. This means that even if you delete a photo from your phone, it will still be stored in your Amazon Photos account.

If you want to delete a photo from Amazon Photos, you will need to do so manually. You can do this by going to the Amazon Photos website or app and selecting the photo you want to delete. You can also delete photos from Amazon Photos by going to your phone’s gallery app and selecting the photo you want to delete. Then, tap the “Share” button and select “Amazon Photos.” Finally, tap the “Delete” button.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind about Amazon Photos:

• Photos that you delete from Amazon Photos will be moved to your Trash folder. Photos will remain in your Trash folder for 90 days, after which they will be permanently deleted.
  • You can restore photos from your Trash folder at any time within 90 days of deleting them.
  • You can also set Amazon Photos to automatically sync your photos from your phone to your Amazon Photos account. This means that any new photos you take on your phone will be automatically backed up to your Amazon Photos account.

FYI, the Forever service is not immutable storage. Objects are removed from your recycling bin after 60 days. You also have the ability to cancel/delete your account if you wish.

From what I read, the only benefit to the Forever platform compared to other storage services is their financial arrangements to ensure data availability over long periods of time. From a data storage perspective, it’s the same as any other data storage service and likely uses S3, or some S3-compatible service as it’s back end.

I don’t know of any consumer-facing immutable storage services. True immutable storage is quite expensive and typically reserved in the enterprise for workloads with specific regulatory requirements.

Also, your ML query result is somewhat contradictory, as it’s stated further on that photos will be deleted just as most other consumer data storage services.

1 Like

I use both Google and Amazon and never had a photo deleted unless I deleted it myself. The idea is that the apps can remove the photos from your phone, but they are always available via the app.

1 Like

The only reason the deleting photos off your phone would be an issue is if you want to look at photos while on a limited data plan. Basically, you go to look at a photo, but you need to download it to view it because it was removed from your phone and only exists on the cloud.

Okay, Amazon Photos does exactly what we need. (as others have already said). Now getting my wife convinced to trust Amazon over Forever.com will be the next hurdle.

I can help you with that - the Forever platform is using Amazon services on their backend. Check the dev tools in any chromium browser (F12) and you can see the site making calls to Amazon’s CDN service Cloudfront. So your wife already trusts Amazon, although she may not know it.

Telling her that Forever uses Amazon was enlightening. Another glitch in the system, both Forever and Amazon Photos, will NOT auto-save from the iPhone camera roll unless the app is open. Forever support said they are aware and looking into a solution. Testing with Amazon Photo app and found same issue. Only time new photos are uploaded is when the Amazon Photo app is open. Ideally these apps when enabled to allow background refresh, should monitor and auto-save.