How-to work remotely on the cheap?

I recently underwent a move and my employer is allowing me to work remotely until I find a new programming job in the Research Triangle Park area. I definitely don’t want to work at home because of distractions and work-life separation. To be a little forthcoming about my personal situation, we have 5 month old twin boys and are currently living in in-law’s house until we get settled. Saving money is ideal at the moment. So far I’ve tried working in public libraries. I like that it’s free and has low noise levels. It doesn’t work at all for conference calls or screen shares. I also have issues consistently finding the trifecta of comfortable seating with a table and power outlet.

So I have a few questions for remote workers to put out there into the information sphere. Any advice or anecdotes are appreciated but free / cheap tricks would be appreciated a little bit more. :grin:

Where do you work? Have you tried anything else and why did you like/dislike it?

Do you use a portable monitor (ie: lcd) for dual monitors? How difficult is it to transport / protect? Any buying recommendations?

I really appreciate it!

Have you looked into whether there are any available offices (or rooms) available for cheap? You could probably snag a room for cheap if there someone with an office and an empty desk that isn’t being occupied.

2 Likes

Look for office share spaces, they tend to be cheep…

2 Likes

Local Chamber of Commerce or technology center might have some office locations in a business incubator or the like.
My city has a technology center that has single person office cubes and conference rooms to rent above the floor where the high school robotics team works, so noise might be an issue.

1 Like

As someone mentioned office share spaces, this company is nation wide and world wide, regus.com

Does the library have conference or study rooms you can reserve? You might also try Craigslist or get on Facebook and join a town/city/community group and ask there. I belong to a town Facebook page and have definitely seen people secure working space through it, some of them on a barter basis (e.g. guy agrees to help old lady with her computer and in return she lets him use her deceased husband’s writing shed). For all it’s ills Facebook is actually pretty good at that kind of thing. You’d be surprised how many people in your town would be happy to help if they only knew you needed it.

1 Like

I hired a ‘hotdesk’ in a shared workspace for a former freelancer of mine. Much cheaper than having premises or a permanent office and can be paid for as a company/work expense.

1 Like