How to completely stop spam call from same robot

I am getting close to 3 calls an hour from a number that changes but leaves the same message about contacting Apple support. I have my iPhone set to Silence Unknown Callers but I still get the notifications for the missed call and the voice mail. I contacted TMobile but they are saying they can’t do anything. This is getting close to harassment!

It there anything else I can do short of changing my number?

Unfortunately, no. Even changing your number won’t do anything.

Leo uses Google Voice to block this stuff. I checked and you can port your existing number.

1 Like

Thanks. So if I port my T-Mobile number to GV, what happens to my phone itself? Does it mean my phone has no actual number?

I think you keep your T-Moble number and account. Google has a good FAQ (Just click on ?)https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup

2 Likes

Such harrassment would be illegal over here. Can’t you report it to the police?

The thing is, the caller information is not generated by the network, but by the caller. They can appear as to be calling as anyone from anywhere. Because the phone network was originally designed to be operated by one monopoly, there is no security really to prevent bad operators from taking advantage of it. And there is no money in blocking use of the network from the perspective of the operator… they want you to use it more so they can charge you more. Basically it’s a sh*tstorm.

1 Like

I changed my answering message to say, “This phone is not answered. Voice mail is not checked. Please email me at the address you should have on record if you actually have business with me. If you are trying to contact me about a contract assignment please be advised I have retired.”

I still get 10 to 20 junk calls a day, but I ignore them knowing that the people who need to get in touch with me have other methods. Of course, I am able to do this because I am retired, and I am very thankful for that luxury.

2 Likes

I’m not saying its legal, just that since its all robogenerated, there’s no way to stop it.

1 Like

US has anti robo call law waiting to go in effect. It will be practically worthless because most calls originate off shore, beyond the reach of enforcement.
I hate to say it but I believe the only determent would be to eliminate FREE calls. Just a few pennies would shut them down.

1 Like

Probably not. They would just switch tactics and hang up before being redirected to voice mail. If you answer the call, it would probably be worth it to them to pay a few pennies because they hope to “capture” you into their evil system.

2 Likes

I used to have this issue - I set up Silence Unknown Callers so I don’t ever get the calls. If someone leaves me a voice mail when Silence Unknown Callers sends them direct to VM I listen to it in case its something I’m interested in (I almost NEVER get a voicemail from the spammers) Then I just go in and block the number that was called from - eventually they run out of numbers

1 Like

I have never once in my life accepted a call on my cell phone… and only ever accepted phone calls on a land line when the caller was someone I knew personally. Life is too short to d**k around talking to telemarketers.

3 Likes

Fortunately the madness has stopped after several hours yesterday. Thanks.

3 Likes