How many of you signed up for Disney+ today?

Today is the day. As a Star Wars / Marvel nerd I pre-ordered and will be watching The Mandalorian tonight. I have to say for a Disney product it is reasonably priced at $6.99 per month, and for that price you can watch on 4 devices simultaneously (for the kiddos).

3 Likes

Feeling quite fatigued from the streaming service spread that’s happening recently. I’ve not signed up for Disney+ despite them dangling the Star Wars carrot. Going to be a really tough choice for me. Maybe I’ll sell my TV and start reading books instead.

5 Likes

The sprawl is a problem. But these companies are smart and they know a lot of people will subscribe to get content they can’t get anywhere else. I have 3 paid streaming services (really 4): Spotify, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Video which I don’t count because it’s lame and it’s free with Prime. I doubt you will see any substantial unification of these platforms in the near future.

oh i’ll unify them whether they like it or not. there are ways.

2 Likes

Are all the kids Disney shows that my kids watch (Bunk’d etc.) on the Disney Now app, on Disney+ also? Because if they are, we will probably subscribe soon.

Yes. It is pretty much the entire Disney catalog dating back to Snow White in the 30’s until now, including their TV shows like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and then new stuff for Marvel and Star Wars only on Disney+. They actually tweeted out the entire catalog on the Disney+ twitter account, took them hours to finish it.

Edit: related article:

On a related aside, I don’t think all of these streaming services will last. Ben Thompson on Stratechery at one point said (and I wish I could find the specific article) that he thinks, looking back on the streaming wars a few years from now, only a few major streaming services will thrive (Amazon, Disney with their services, Netflix, and HBO). He believes everyone else who tries their hand at streaming (I’m guessing NBC will be the first to quit) will probably have to fold at some point and end up selling their content to the highest bidder (probably Netflix).

I am confident that Disney+ will be successful because it’s Disney. Their content catalog is not only massive, but it also has the right kind of content for the service to be successful.

3 Likes

I plan to subscribe next year. I am more interested in the various Marvel related shows that will be coming. And, I think none start appearing until next year.

I want to see the Star Wars show too, but I can still catch it next year, after the fact.

Did you see the news, though? The streaming service is already down for many people. Already 7000 people reported that they cannot get on. Disney admitted that they were unprepared for the demand.

2 Likes

I am not the least bit surprised to be honest. I’ve been expecting that to happen. That’s why I haven’t signed up for the service yet. I think I’ll wait at least a month or so for Disney to get its act together and make sure the service can stay up. Frankly they should have seen the demand coming.

2 Likes

I pre-ordered, was able to login Monday night at 10:30 PST already watched a few shows including The Mandalorian. Very good service. Yea there are a lot of streaming services but I just cut one to get another that has what I want. I’ve gone back and forth a couple times. I don’t mind

2 Likes

I have had a few connection issues today as well. They will iron it out I’m sure.

1 Like

Yeh man; I bought into the 3 year pre-paid offer several months ago. Mandalorian is all queued up! I did notice the reported disconnects this morning due to demand I’m sure.

1 Like

despite Star Wars must resist the urge…subscription fatigue …oh noooooo

4 Likes

Give in to your feelings, join the Dark Side. The Dark Side has Disney+ !!

2 Likes

ha ha ha ha I hear ya…I heard the dark side has cookies

2 Likes

Wow. Unprepared for the demand? They had to know it was going to be a stampede. Most services have lots of adjustments to make and it takes a while brand new out of the box. I’m sitting back for a while until the smoke clears then I try the free trial. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

I agree but most services have the same problem out of the box. Until they actually start up they are in the dark about what might happen. They’ll iron it out. Meanwhile, we wait…patiently.

1 Like

I agree. They had to know…

1 Like

I signed up, only because I get a year free as a Verizon customer.

1 Like

I’m sure they knew of the demand but @Sedona is right, no way to know how everything is going to work until you flip the switch. I’m betting they knew of the demand and knew they were going to have problems no matter what.

They’ll get it sorted.

I will be signing up, currently in Philippines so I cannot at the moment but when I get back to the USA I will.

That’ll be: Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Prime, Disney, MLB and NHL streaming services for me … Good Lord.

1 Like