How do you prefer to acquire content: digital download versus physical media?

I had a hard drive a few years ago with all my ripped dvds that I owned and then got rid of them. Year later the drive died and since I’ve just been streaming everything or purchase things off Apple TV but in recent time more concerned about spending money on the contracts to own a chance to watch these films and shows until apple decides to revoke any film or show at any point which yet to happen but the thought is there. I recently was thinking about getting a uhd Blu-ray Player and the uhd Blu-rays bit by bit but then I got thinking about the shows and movies on the streaming services that will never be on Blu-ray or dvd

So I have no idea what’s the best way to keep a lasting collection anymore as streaming is great until you either have no internet or the service you use decides to close as well taking with it the media that was only ever available on the service

1 Like

I chose VHS for funzies and because my choice isn’t really there (mostly subscription streaming with some physical).

I think the need to own movies and music has gone away. I’m sure i could find a way to watch nearly any movie or tv show I can think of right now.

I don’t feel the need to own any of them, because even if I do, I’m sure they will come up with some new version that is somehow better. vhs - dvd - bluray - bluray 4k hdr - 4th dimension smell-a-vision with haptic feedback and memory implantation.

The one exception (but it seems to be going away) is that when I found the time to buy a new release PC game, I would buy a physical copy because there would always be one chain of shops selling it for $20 less than everyone else. I saved $20 on fallout 4 that way. Mass Effect Andromeda is the last PC game I bought at all. Very few retailers had it, and none were cheaper.

2 Likes

I had been a collector of VHS and then DVD for years, but now that we live in a one bedroom apartment, we just don’t have the space for the physical media. So, now I buy movies through Google Play movies and only for very special movies, will I but physical media. The thing that always has me worries is that all of the money I have put into those videos and Google could just give up on the platform… They do have a tendency to get rid of things and every once in a while one of them is popular.

2 Likes

Anyone know if possible to rip a Blu-ray uhd hdr to an mkv and play on either Apple TV 4K or if I buy the NVIDIA Shield tv and connected a hard drive I have laying around rather then Plex

1 Like

Hey everyone just wondering if Plex is a good service for long term if I were do try and stream movies I own and ripped in 4K hdr and can I put that on my Apple TV 4K if possible
Thanks

I read that there’s an app called infuse pro that allows Plex to play 4K on the Apple TV with mkv and no need in converting any files. Anyone know if this is something legit

Hey, if you want to transfer video files from one device to another device for playing, then you can try to convert the videos first to the compatible video formats to your devices. If you do that, you could use the tool DRmare Media Converters Mac to help you. It can help you convert the video files and let you enjoy them on any other devices.

1 Like