HOW 14: Fitness Tracking With MyFitnessPal

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

I’ve been using Premium version MyFitnessPal for a few years mainly for nutrition tracking. One feature I missed in your review is their barcode scanning. Other apps use this however it seems the food database used by MyFitnessPal is much more extensive. I find the paid version extra features are worth $50/yr.

Only negative experience was their 2018 data breach which included my personal data.

Compromised data

Email addresses, IP addresses, Passwords, Usernames

Background about the breach

In February 2018, the diet and exercise service MyFitnessPal suffered a data breach. The incident exposed 144 million unique email addresses alongside usernames, IP addresses and passwords stored as SHA-1 and bcrypt hashes (the former for earlier accounts, the latter for newer accounts). In 2019, the data appeared listed for sale on a dark web marketplace (along with several other large breaches) and subsequently began circulating more broadly. The data was provided to HIBP by a source who requested it to be attributed to “BenjaminBlue@exploit.im”.

2 Likes

Oh maaaaaaan. I didn’t know about the breach. THANKS for sharing this. Thanks for watching :fist_right:t5:

1 Like

Starting August 1, Restaurant Logging will no longer be available. Not a feature I personally use but might be important for those considering the app.

2 Likes