Help me choose my next Macbook Pro

Hello Twit Community,

I am currently looking to replace my 2012 Macbook Pro which has served me well for many years now. I did the SSD upgrade myself but now I am starting to see a little battery swelling. So I am in the market for a new macbook pro.

Intel i7 vs M1: (budget allows for these two)

I was thinking of an Intel Mac vs the M1’s as I don’t believe I can upgrade any hw after the fact on an M1 macbook pro ? I will be using it for the odd dj night and using the serato dj software on it. But it will be my every day go to device.
So I was thinking an i7, 16Gb RAM, Macbookpro pro with 500GB SSD. Obviously I would be eventually upgrading that HD to 1TB SSD over time.

Or are the M1’s macbook pro’s significantly better ? and go M1 Mbook pro, 16Gb , 1Tb ? I read that M1’s have everything built on the board, and can’t be upgraded after the fact, so I was thinking , isn’t this a single point of failure ?

Thanks for answering my questions and thanks for your input.

What are your thoughts ?

If you bought your last one in 2012, I’d definitely go with an M1. All new macOS features will probably be Apple silicon only going forward, especially now that the Mac Pro is also now in Apple Silicon.

That would mean the effective support live for the Intel version will be shorter than an M1 version.

Either will be an incredible difference to what you have.

I have a Mac mini M1 512GB with an external Thunderbolt dock and an external SSD and a MacBook Air M1.

To be honest, unless you are going for a Max chip and you need the extra ports that the Max brings, I’d look at an M2 Air.

As @big_D said, Apple is quickly ending all support for Intel Mac’s. There is no point buying new and not buying Apple Silicon based Macs. There is the used market though, so consider that if you want to save some money and are willing to soon run out of support.

1 Like

As long as they DJ software runs fine on Apple silicon(or in Rosetta), get the M1. That’s where the future is, and I would expect must longer OS support. Apple also has a great no questions asked return policy, so you can test it out.

1 Like

At this point in time, I wouldn’t buy an Intel Mac.

1 Like

thanks for the info. M2 is out of my budget.

what really is end of support , really mean ? I’ve never had to care about that as I’ve been running a 2012 macbook intel i5 that has been my workhorse every single day , (beat that thing up pretty good ) and its been fine. There are millions of intel’s out there and I would find it hard to believe that boom" all of a sudden Apple stops making them work ?

It means no more security updates, so you shouldn’t be using it on a public network, like the Internet…

ah gotcha. that makes sense