Google Voice - How to use on 2nd smartphone

I’ve had a GV number for many years but eventually ported it to Google Fi and presently am using a Pixel 3XL with Hangouts for the SMS app. What apps do I need to install on a 2nd smartphone to get the same GV number to work on it?

I don’t think you can. All you can do is call forwarding with Fi to that number.
I ended up converting my Fi number to GV and use it that way now.

2 Likes

OK, I get the forwarding part but does that mean I cannot dial out from the 2nd phone using that same GV/Fi number?

From what I recall, that is correct. Fi is not Voice and does not have the same functionality.

2 Likes

That is true. Once you bring your Voice account over to Google Fi, you sacrifice some features of Google Voice in the process. This is definitely one of them. Your number belongs to the device carrying the Fi SIM at that point (be it a physical or e-sim). Fi is much more of a traditional MVNO in that respect.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I also found this fairly good article from a few years ago:

Ahhh yes by “friend of the show” JR Raphael (hoping someday he’ll be able to make his return to AAA)

I finally abandoned Fi and ported my number back to Google Voice and got a T-Mobile account which I just last week dumped for Mint Mobile. Now I’m putting my backup phone on Mint Mobile as well (both on the $15 a month plan) and both linked to my Google Voice number.

The only wrinkle is texts - Android Messaging. My texts go out from the Mint number which confuses people so I have to make sure, the first time, to tell them who it is. But it works. And unlike with Fi, where the backup phone had data only, now it has a real plan so it is really a valid backup.

1 Like

Oh the old “this number is my number too” song and dance. That is something I do not miss from Voice.

1 Like