Framework Laptop Upgrade

@Leo - I remember you mentioning that you were looking for a laptop with a 12th gen intel processor. Framework is releasing an upgrade that would allow you to swap the motherboard and processor on your laptop.

1 Like

Yeah I am so excited. Already ordered a Dell XPS 15 with the i5-12500H processor, but I’m very glad to see that at some point I’ll be able to upgrade the Framework. There are some concerns about the 12th gen i7 - it seems in laptops, at least, the i5 might actually be as fast or even faster due to thermal and power constraints.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was reading the same. They are offering the i5. Either way, it’s nice to see that I can essentially get a “new” laptop without having to spend thousands.

1 Like

Lenovo has announced the soon to be released AMD 69xx Legion gaming laptops. The 5xxx models came with an Nvidia GPU, but the 6xxx are available with an AMD GPU. My friend has the 5xxx version and just loves it.

Yeah I placed the order on 5/19 for the middle i7, and the next day there’s an article on how the i5 is faster and now it’s pushed out a month. I contacted Framework to see if I could hold my place in line and swap the processor and understandably they asked that I cancel and reorder if I wanted the i5. So, I’m sticking with the i7 to get it sooner and I’m Hoping that at least the graphics performance is a bit better… maybe?

I have the i7 1260P in a very slim laptop, and it’s certainly doing a lot of managing of thermals. Happy with the performance though, but I don’t have an i5 to compare it with. With this model, dropping to i5 also dropped RAM to 8GB.

One annoying bit of design, the intakes are on the bottom so it gets very hot very quickly used on your lap. Looks like the Framework is similar from the pics.

1 Like

Hijacking this thread (only slightly) to mention that Framework has announced a slew of upgrades.

The original framework gets upgraded mainboards with a choice of Intel 13th gen or AMD 7040-series, the first AMD offering and one of their most requested features. When you take those old mainboards out, Cooler Master has an affordable little case you can use to repurpose it into a SFF desktop.

A whole new modular 16" gaming laptop was also announced, exhibiting a modular gpu bay, modular io, and a modular input deck (!).

I think this is one of the most amazing companies, and I can’t wait to see what those AMD chips do for the 13" model.

4 Likes

Brilliant. I love my original Framework and I can’t wait to get my hands on the 16. I’ll be pre-ordering one it as soon as it’s available.

3 Likes

That is really cool…I think I will be jumping on the train for the 16"

1 Like

I’m excited about the matte screen and the larger battery. I might have to get both. I already got the upgraded hinges. At this rate, this laptop will last me for the rest of my life. If the Ship of Theseus was a laptop, this would be it.

3 Likes

I had installed one of the recommended matte screen protectors — that was definitely a massive improvement over the glossy screen.

I just recently installed the new hinges and woah! It’s like going back to 2012 in the best possible way! (You ever walk through a box store and just give the laptops a little nudge? I recommend bringing dramamine.)

It just feels like they are delivering on all their promises at a very methodical pace. I really want it to continue for the long haul.

1 Like

Agreed. They seem to be staying away from dumb, vanity products. I will make it a point to purchase something from them every once in a while, even if it’s just an accessory. Framework is too important of a company to not support. They are completely changing the perspective of consumers by doing away with the notion that good design and repairability (is that a word?) are mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

Another cool idea - they are considering allowing you to use an old Framework Laptop battery as an external usb charger by releasing some kind of an enclosure for it. SUCH a good idea!

5 Likes

So I ordered a 13 inch with the Ryzen 5 7040. I’ve been suffering along with my 1st gen Surface Book for long enough, and I’ve always wanted something I could comfortably run Linux on. Now I just have to wait until the end of Q3 :skull:

2 Likes