Eliminating Filler Words

What can be done to lesson “filler words” on TWiT? IE: You know, I mean. I want to scream we know you are MEAN, why keep telling us.
Maybe all host/guest could wear a collar that would deliver a shock. Like training dogs not to bark!!!

1 Like

Once AI is good enough maybe Overcast can skip them like it skips silent gaps, at the user’s preference?

I don’t even notice filler words. I mean, I don’t think it’s a big deal, ya know?

I hate filler words, however I find myslf guilty of using them.

That being said there was recently a guest that used so many “likes” that it made me think less of that person.

Well, that’s the way that people talk, especially when they are not following a script. One of the things that I value the most about TWiT shows is that they cover a broad range of topics that allow the guests and hosts to have a conversation, not just regurgitate pre-written talking points.

If filler words are truly that abhorrent to you, maybe you should consider reading a newspaper or magazine article, instead.

1 Like

I have noticed a vast improvement lately and hasten to give Flo the most improved award.

Patrick Norton is the one I notice the most… yet I still love his content so much I look past it.

The problem is if you support the filler words police you’ll also get arrested for having misspelling.

1 Like

Filler Police…I like it!!!

I don’t notice anything Twit can remain just the way it is. Its people talking about tech.

2 Likes

This seems like a pretty silly thing to be upset about. These are round table podcasts and almost all of the contributors are not professional broadcasters like Leo is. It’s ridiculous to think everyone will be able to stop using filler words, it’s natural language. It takes an extraordinary amount of practice and usually professional training to eliminate filler words, talk with the typical mid-western accent and other things you learn in broadcasting school.

Besides, IMO I like it. I think it provides charm and a human touch to the shows that you wouldn’t get otherwise.

7 Likes

I could not have said it better.

1 Like

Organizing thoughts while conversing on the fly isn’t easy, especially without pre-scripted words. It takes tons of practice to eliminate them during a rehearsed speech, let alone limit them in a conversation.

I still get a jolt when hearing those service call bells (like found at a hotel lobby desk). During a speech class in college, one student would be in charge of ringing it every time a filler word like “um” or “like” was used during your speech. Once you hear one ring, your already on edge nerves start jumping and the ringing begins to sound like a fire alarm.

1 Like

The Bell is so much better than a wack to the back of the head with a ruler!

2 Likes

A lot of us have done speaking before or have our own podcasts. Filler words are really difficult to avoid because they come out when you’re not thinking.

Our human meat-brains are very slow to organize thoughts, and contrary to popular belief we don’t multitask. So organizing mental points we want to say and saying them at the same time doesn’t really happen. Some folks are better at hiding this than others, though.

If there was a particularly bad section of our own show, though, I’ll go through and clean that up so it flows better.

With the amount of content TWiT does, though, I don’t see that approach as being too workable.

1 Like