Club TWiT Questions and Answers

or crypto currency payments?

I’d suggested having fake ads like on the Alice Fraser podcasts for The Bugle

There’s also the Discord and whatever future benefits are to come.

Hi there, we don’t foresee adding PayPal in the near future. Club TWiT Uses Stripe as its payment processor, and Stripe does not accept PayPal. It accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and can also use Apple Pay or Google Pay. Thanks for your interest, and we hope you’ll join (if not already).

Just tried and Security Now is working for me. Try again?

re: adding new Discord channels

I posted this in Discord but I know things quickly get lost there:

My suggestion would cut across shows so as to keep the number down: Apple, Google, Enterprise, Helpline, IOT, Projects, and this channel. Maybe add in Ethics or Futurology or something.

I thought I had posted an update. Last night, when I tried again, it worked.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible for Stripe to offer various currencies (GBP) and not just USD?

1 Like

Much ado about nothing… Works out to around 7c (Euro) surcharge for the currency translation. That works out at around 84c a year, I can live with that.

1 Like

I have backup credit card from German n26 bank and it charged me 5.86€ ($7) the exchange rate was 0,837143. So n26 does not take any fees just the mastercard exchange rate.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, because exchange rates fluctuate, it’s unlikely that Stripe will accommodate non-US currencies at the moment. We will post updates if things change with payment systems. Thanks for your understanding and for being part of the TWiT community.

Promo code to try out the club?

It’s not about trying something new… it’s not something new-- it’s supporting something you already like (or not.) You’re either in support of the content, and want more like it, or you’re not. You can experience it with or without ads… that is all that is on offer here really.

That’s my excuse for not subscribing. Listening to Windows Weekly, and hearing @Leo talk about it, it occurs to me that it’d be worse from a tracking perspective than having ads since the company who they’re using to handle payments knows who you are since, I would assume, you have to give details like name, address, and so on when you pay.

As much as I like the idea of TWiT not being tied to its advertisers and being able to do things advertisers might not approve of, I do wonder at what point subscription fatigue would set in and how people are managing that.

I only had to enter my name and CC number.

I plan to stick with the ad supported version. Leo presents ad’s in a folksy informative way. If it were not for the ads I don’t think I ever would have learned about Molekule. This device has been so helpful in dealing with my asthma. Lisa’s endorsement also meant a lot.

3 Likes

Podcast question for those already in the club…

I typically just watch the video version of TWiT shows right from twit.tv in a browser window on one of my secondary monitors. Since my commute days are down to zero, I just have these shows playing while I work. I also mainly timeshift the shows to fit my workday, so I very rarely watch live.

Is there a web or Windows based podcast player that supports video podcasts (and that presumably works with the Club TWiT feeds? )

I see Pocket Casts has a desktop version, but you have to subscribe to their paid tier. There is also one in the Microsoft Store called Grover (one time fee of $3 I think). I haven’t really looked into it very much at all, but these two came up pretty quickly.

1 Like

Can VLC do this? How to Subscribe to Podcasts using VLC Media Player

3 Likes

Cool - I didn’t know that feature existed!

There’s also gPodder

2 Likes

someone in the Discord mentioned connecting PayPal to Google Pay and using Google Pay for the subscription. Not sure if that would apply to your situation/country.

1 Like