Brick Your Car?

Leo and Sam tell how cars are fast being subject to becoming IOT devices. Subject to Manufacturers updates. Subscriptions will required to make updates etc.
Will our cars be subject to becoming bricks, just like computers and phones.

1 Like

I hope not, that would be horrable!!!

2 Likes

Bricking your car yourself or may be the manufacturer will take against you and brick it for you… Apologies if they talked about this story as I did not get to see The Tech Guy. https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update

1 Like

Yea, that’s what triggered the discussion.

2 Likes

I just don’t see a need for a car to be connected - the radio for streaming, maybe, but the car itself, so it can report back to base and secretly disable itself? No way!

The EU was also pushing to make it a legal requirement for all new cars to be online, but I’m not sure it that went through or not.

3 Likes

In the future you may have no other choice. John Deere tractor farmers are having fits about their connected cars. JD insist that only their certified tech’s work on them. Poor farmers often they must travel hundreds of miles to have the simplest repairs made. Farmers scream “Its my own dam tractor” JD says oh no its not. You just make the payments. This scenario will no doubt be repeated with cars.

2 Likes

With the increasing amount of software in modern vehicles licensing and copyright issues need to be addressed. I think in particular the idea I saw from this lawyer specializing in agriculture is needed ASAP. Shorten the copyright term of software/firmware from the current 90+ years down to 10 years.

His whole blog post is worth a read.

1 Like

It will be connected nevertheless. That is what 5G is all about, all these devices will effectively use machine learning to adapt to environment and mine your/our data.

All companies will become dig data companies with cars being on the front seat. They can mine so much data out of our every day travel, location, habits, driving behaviour etc.

There was a discussion in TWiT recently that phone carriers are selling our phone related data to third parties so expect car companies to monetize that as much as they can as well.

1 Like