Artifacts with HDR on LCD TVs?

Our TV, a 4-year-old Samsung has just developed a fault so the shop has agreed to contribute towards a new TV :+1:t2:

One thing I notice with the Samsung is loads of artefacts on HDR material when displaying dark scenes. You get that ā€˜bandingā€™ with blocks of colour rather than a smooth fade. What causes this? Cheaper LCD panel/backlight? HDR specs (it only supports HDR10)? Streaming over WiFi?

Would be useful to know when picking a new one :thinking:

Whatā€™s your HDR content source? Blu-Ray or a streaming service?

If itā€™s a streaming service, Iā€™d guess theyā€™re compressing the stream too much. The marketing guys love to say they offer 4K HDR content but the accountants donā€™t want to pay for the bandwidth it takes to provide a decent stream at that res.

1 Like

For now, generally, the only way to get decently uncompressed HDR content is when itā€™s delivered on physical media (aka a bluray.) There used to be these calibration disks you could get to optimize your gearā€¦ Google says they still exist for HDR https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Blu-ray-Disc/dp/B07Q2KBDKV

1 Like

Yes itā€™s all streamed. Mixture of Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ via a Fire TV Cube.

It was very noticeable with dark scenes in The Mandalorian last night for example. The subjects of the shot looks amazing, itā€™s the backgrounds where you notice the artifacts and banding.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shame, from what I understand they shoot many of the space scenes with real models rather than CGI. Probably would look incredible without the banding youā€™re seeing.

I believe the typical streaming service maxes out around 6 Mbps whereas Blu-Ray can offer up to 40 Mbps. Physics are physics. Suffer poor quality for convenience and instant gratification, or wait for the box set and avoid artifacting.

May as well leave feedback to the streaming services too. Ideally theyā€™d offer higher bitrates for higher service tiers, or maybe semi-hide an option for higher quality in some submenu that average people would never find.

2 Likes

I was looking at this again last night, as the Apple TV+ video stalls at peak Broadband usage times in the evenings. The audio continues, but the video stops.

ā€˜Apple TV+ hits highs of 41 Mbps with an average bitrate of 29 Mbps when streamingā€™ :flushed:

Hurry up FTTP! The village has clubbed together to try and get it rolled out here.

1 Like

It was the same with digital satellite.

I had a lot of films on DVD and Iā€™d watch others on Sky (analogue) satellite. Then they switched to digital and you got 10 times as many channels, but the quality was artefacted to hell and back. Especially sky / night scenes. Anything with lots of area with a similar colour gets banding as the compression codec equals out the ā€œblackā€ to bands.

I notice it now with streamed content as well. Sometimes the codec is overly aggressive and ruins the whole point of having HDR.

1 Like

wow thatā€™s some serious data! my guess of 6 mbps was way off. good for them, sounds like their bandwidth scaling code needs some work though.

I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of average bitrates for the major streaming services :thinking: gotta do some Binging

Yeah Appleā€™s doesnā€™t seem to be very adaptive, it either works or doesnā€™t. The others all average around 16 Mbps from what I can see, but keep going (at lower quality) if your broadband is struggling.

Got Apple TV+ working now :+1:t2: Some mesh weirdness. My Fire TV Cube was connected to a mesh unit on the other side of the house rather than the one in the same room for some reason. Watched lots of stuff last night without a glitch. It is noticeably better quality than all the other streaming services.

2 Likes