Am I An Utter Fool?

Well the Alienware 55 OLED does, in fact, do 120 hz, but don’t tell him.

3 Likes

My understanding is that games will be able to produce 4K output at 120Hz. I expect what is actually happening is they’re rendering it at 1440 and using tiling to upscale it 4K. (PC’s are likewise doing this. Nvidia’s DLSS is basically this.)

1 Like

I’ve been dabbling Linux on and off the last year.
Have you ever thought about doing a Linux show of just you on Your machine showing people the basics?

Doesn’t have to be a permanent show maybe just like 8 episodes?

1 Like

OK Leo, since we all know you will be busy this afternoon, once your desk is setup, any chance we can get a picture with the monstrosity of a monitor set up?

2 Likes

It’s delayed. Delivery is now scheduled for Thursday.

Meanwhile I cleaned up my desk and removed the iMac and two monitor setup. I’m thinking of putting the tower under the desk - reviewers say it’s loud. It looks like this now - with a lot of disconnected wires!

Lisa is getting the iMac Pro.

5 Likes

Maybe its your desk, but that monitor doesn’t look as big I was thinking. I’ve got a 50" TV mounted on my wall and I can’t imagine using that as a monitor, let alone a 55". Heck, I think my 32" monitor is huge on my desk.

Holy cow! Hope you ordered some sun screen too, this thing will probably give you a tan after a 6 hour Valheim session :grin:

2 Likes

I hope I can keep it to six hours!

4 Likes

Update: I am not a fool, but unfortunately now I’m addicted to Valheim. I am more than 170 hours in with no sign of stopping. 60-70 fps full-screen 4K with all graphics maxed. (If you’re curious about the game and my obsession with it, there’s hours of my gameplay at https://twitch.tv/clubtwit)

The machine is fantastic, both running Windows and Manjaro Linux. Super fast. And, so far, super reliable. And that screen is fantastic, both for productivity and gaming.

It’s also super noisy, even with liquid cooling, but I just turn the excellent Valheim soundtrack up. Seriously we have air filters running all over the house so the woosh of fans doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, it kind of mitigates my tinnitus.

Overall: four thumbs up. No regrets at all.

11 Likes

I think your enthusiasm brought me on to Valheim. It’s really a lot of fun! Do you host your game / play on an open server? I’d love to go beyond the single player experience but am somewhat weary of other online servers. A TwiT server would be much fun!

I’ve only played solo - but maybe I’ll set up a server if there’s interest! @PadreSJ has a server I believe.

2 Likes