What display / monitor for MacBook ProM1 2020?

Hi there, I just purchased a new display, Dell S2722QC 27-inch 4K USB-C Monitor - UHD (3840 x 2160) for my MBP M1. Connecting via USB-C. I recall on a past show Leo mentioned certain monitors work better with M1 chips or Macs. Goal is for photography mostly, amateur budget. Anything more suitable for my Mac? Thanks and Leo- go bulldogs!

If it works, there should be no problems.

I have a 44" 4K LG monitor connected via USB-C and a 34" Dell UltraSharp ultra wide display, both work fine with my Mac mini M1 and MacBook Air M1.

What issues are you seeing? What exactly are you looking for? I went with the 44" 4K, because I wanted 100% scaling (i.e. more information and windows visible on the screen), as opposed to higher DPI on a smaller screen.

@big_D , thanks for the reply. So here’s my further question, when I connect the new display to a Window laptop, I’m able to update drivers, and have more functions to adjust the display. When connected to my Mac, I have less controls and of course cannot download .exe drivers for updates (not withstanding doing this all via the Windows machine), but it dawned on me, is there a more Mac compatible display for photography? Not ready to drop $1000 on a Mac display but they are sure nice.

The drivers are for Windows, not the display itself. They tell Windows what capabilities it has, it should be possible for a machine to directly ask this information from the display, so you aren’t missing out.

Firmware updates would be the only thing that would be missing - E.g. updates to USB-C dock on the display.

My Macs recognise the Dell 34" display and its resolution and capabilities. Likewise the 44" LG, they detect it is HDR compatible and can output HDR to the display. The USB-C Dock on the LG works fine without additional drivers on Linux, Windows and Mac (I have my webcam plugged into the LG display, for example).

1 Like